1. washington
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 04:46
    So I want to know from the people 1700 and above what your rating is and how many moves you think ahead when in the middle game, average, minimum and maximum.
  2. Standard memberFreidenker
    Mad scientist
    Québec
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 05:04
    Not an easy question, it depends so much on how complicated the position is and what kind of moves you're doing.

Many moves don't require deep calculation, they're strategic in nature; I want to pin his knight, I want to force a favorable exchange, et cetera... When I have to calculate, I'd say I can calculate easily 3-4 moves deep in most situations, but it can easily be much more if there's few possibilities (in late middlegames/endgames) or with the help of the "analyze board".

Your question is really interesting, I have an ICC game tomorrow against a strong player, I'll write how deep I've calculated for each move.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 05:061 edit
    rating- 1714 (a little too high, IMHO).

I don't see very many moves ahead. I try to get an idea of possibilities and keep general principles in mind, but don't do too much calculating. I use the analysis board periodically-- mostly to create 'fantasy' positions.

Now that I think about it, I guess I do calculate a bit to see if the fantasy positions are feasible, but I'm a little lazy. Occassionally, I'll find a 4 or 5 move sequence and pat myself on the back.

Lately, I've realized the importance of studying endgames. There are certain situations that I'd like to avoid in the future, so I will plan a little more in the earlies phases.
  4. Standard memberhammster21
    Endgamer
    Wisconsin
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 05:52
    It really depends on the situation. You can't always calculate positional sacrifices, so you might be making a move you think is good now, but won't bear any fruits for another 10 moves. And the same thing with endgame's, I might make a move now expecting that an endgame will be favorable to me 10-15 moves from now. If I am purely calculating, I'd say my max is the number of forced moves in a sequence plus 2-3.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 06:00
    Originally posted by kmac27
    So I want to know from the people 1700 and above what your rating is and how many moves you think ahead when in the middle game, average, minimum and maximum.
    well I ain't 1700 yet but I am close...the most moves I have ever calculated would be about 14...never had to calculate further than that. I prolly calculate about 4-6 moves on average.
  6. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 08:13
    skeeter / 2100 : against 1200-1700 out of book and end game database its 4 ply. min. 1700 - to my level its usually 6/7 ply analysis. Over 2300's? I try to avoid as they are clearly able to ply deeper than me . 😉

skeeter
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 08:27
    Only 1, the best 1.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 08:29
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Only 1, the best 1.
    Biter...thats what Reti said after he got beat by Alhekine 😛
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 09:491 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    well I ain't 1700 yet but I am close...the most moves I have ever calculated would be about 14...never had to calculate further than that. I prolly calculate about 4-6 moves on average.
    14 moves!
    LMAO

The only way you could do that with any accuracy is in the most forcing situation; ie # in 14.
    I tip my hat to you, sir, if that is the case.

Edit:
    Do you mean 14 ply? # in 7 is still very impressive.
    The best I've done is # in 5 I think.

As to all this "how many moves" concept - it's largely irrelevant unless you have a very forcing line. If you're in the usual middlegame position with things roughly equal there's no way you should waste time looking more than my best move/his best move/my best response, as the accuracy of your analysis would diminish exponentially the more ply you go.
  10. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 11:071 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch

As to all this "how many moves" concept - it's largely irrelevant unless you have a very forcing line.
    Very true. And it doesn't matter how much you're thinking ahead if the analysis is faulty.

OTB I recently calculated (accurately) a 15 ply (8 move variation) in a forcing line. All well and good except that what I'd predicted would be h ...[text shortened]... ely predict the position on the board at the end of my variation was of no use whatsoever.
  11. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 12:00
    i look about 2 moves ahead on here as i do like to move fast and my rating is 1703.OTB play i try and look around 4 moves ahead but its been taking up my time so now i just try the same strategy otb now and think around 2 moves ahead 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 12:37
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Biter...thats what Reti said after he got beat by Alhekine 😛
    After which Alekhine replied "Reti is teh suuuuuuuck, I am teh chess mAxstOre, w00T, w00T"!
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    14 moves!
    LMAO

The only way you could do that with any accuracy is in the most forcing situation; ie # in 14.
    I tip my hat to you, sir, if that is the case.

Edit:
    Do you mean 14 ply? # in 7 is still very impressive.
    The best I've done is # in 5 I think.

As to all this "how many moves" concept - it's largely irrelevant unless you h sponse, as the accuracy of your analysis would diminish exponentially the more ply you go.
    the opponents king could only go back and forth 😛
    and yes I meant ply
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 14:501 edit
    When I'm analyzing heavily tactical positions I'd go about 7-10 moves (14-20 ply) ahead at times...

Most of the time though I try to think about 5 moves ahead...

okay actually I usually only think about 0.5 move ahead... explaining why that flippin dumdum232 can beat me 😛.

oh and my rating is just under 1900 though I'm terribly overrated at the moment.. my geniuine strength MIGHT be 1800..
  15. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 14:58
    pfft....1700 tops

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree