1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 08:31
    How many times have you done this?

You playing someone rated 400-600 points below you, you know the opening well and are certain you can win it quickly so you throw caution to the wind, ignore basic principles, blitz it and go in for that quick kill.

For me, it is more often than in should be and in Game 3675512 I was lucky to get away with a draw.

Maybe some of you think, so what give him the exchange and then play properly, with the rating difference you can still win this and you may be right but he deserved the points for showing me up so badly.

Can you star over confident players give me some better examples of your bad play?
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 08:44
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

You playing someone rated 400-600 points below you, you know the opening well and are certain you can win it quickly so you throw caution to the wind, ignore basic principles, blitz it and go in for that quick kill.

For me, it is more often than in should be and in Game 3675512 I was lucky to get away with a ...[text shortened]... ly.

[b]Can you star over confident players give me some better examples of your bad play?
    [/b]
    Game 2887524 I was very careless, got lost position and only weak play of my opponent gave me chance to win. After this game I started to play more carefully against lower rated players
  3. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 10:51

For me, it is more often than in should be and in Game 3675512 I was lucky to get away with a ...[text shortened]... ly.

[b]Can you star over confident players give me some better examples of your bad play?
    [/b]
    Hence don't let ratings fool you. However, keep playing over-confident..after all, I think it was Tartakover who said over-confidence and mistrust are necessary traits to a chess player.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 12:21
    I don't actually do it too often but this was one game where I don't know what I was thinking. There's a reason for real openings, I can't understand why I wasn't willing to look one up. Lucky for me I got a pawn for a piece and took my 8-7 pawn ratio and locked the game up to draw; I still got lucky. Game 3495614
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 19:08
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I don't actually do it too often but this was one game where I don't know what I was thinking. There's a reason for real openings, I can't understand why I wasn't willing to look one up. Lucky for me I got a pawn for a piece and took my 8-7 pawn ratio and locked the game up to draw; I still got lucky. Game 3495614
    that game is only drawn because Black ran out of ideas...

the bishop duo (and simply being a piece up) should mean that if he were to crack the shell open, it would be an easy win; the key to victory is to simply take your time, the position allows you to do so (in short, tempo means bugger-all)

lets take it from 24.Kd3 ...

Instead of Rb8:-

24. ... O-O 25. f4 Bg7 26. Re2 Rce8 27. Rge1 Re7
    28. Bc1 Bg4 29. Rf2 Rfe8 30. Bb2 Bxb2 31. Rxb2 f5 32. e5 dxe5 33. fxe5 Rxe5
    34. Rxe5 Rxe5

its taken 10 moves, but black has sucessfully opened up the position with a pawn advantage...even though d5 is passed, it should be of little significance or hinderence to blacks plan.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 19:12
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    that game is only drawn because Black ran out of ideas...

the bishop duo (and simply being a piece up) should mean that if he were to crack the shell open, it would be an easy win; the key to victory is to simply take your time, the position allows you to do so (in short, tempo means bugger-all)

lets take it from 24.Kd3 ...

Instead of Rb8:-

2 ...[text shortened]... ge...even though d5 is passed, it should be of little significance or hinderence to blacks plan.
    but at the same time I really do believe my opponent was right to take the draw at the time (you are right about the line you presented.. i was waiting for it myself). But at the end of that game it was just too locked... I do admit I got away with it.
  7. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 19:22
    wow. talk about over confidence.

at the time of this game my opponent was in the low 600s and I was around 1200. I was afraid a draw was imminent but for reasons unknown he resigned

Game 3658117
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 20:07
    Originally posted by Drew L
    wow. talk about over confidence.

at the time of this game my opponent was in the low 600s and I was around 1200. I was afraid a draw was imminent but for reasons unknown he resigned

Game 3658117
    lol...i looks like it was due to timeout reasons if that makes you feel any better 🙂
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 20:501 edit

[/b]
    And he shouldn't have accepted the draw. He must've been intimidated. You know, the games you play vs people 500 pts below you would actually go by much faster if you tried your best. Because when you blitz them, you make mistakes to delay the game.

Ironic with Korch and Procurer. Procurer is a 1700-1800 player. He has won 100-200 games against people 1500-2000. He loses purposely for an odd purpose which he refused to share with me.

(edit) - here's my hypocritical game: Game 2910542, where I blitzed one move that cost me the game.
  10. washington
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 06:28
    i entered a tournament where there are about 3 or 4 people under 1300 all of them using a very good database and i only won some of them towards the end when i stepped out of line and they blunderd right away. in one game i wasn't so lucky but its not over yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree