1. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    05 Aug '13 19:50
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Heddy,

I thought that is what you were trying to say.

I always advise play in the lowest one your grade allows you to play in.
    (though I will defend anyone's right to play where they want.)

Let's say you are 1600, play in a 2000 tourney and get hammered a few times.
    You stay at 1600 and there is a good chance you won't learn anything.

So ...[text shortened]... w haircut and some cool dude clothes.
    That 1940's look went out in the.....1940's.
    I’m glad you think that GP. I was leaning towards the lower tourn. I know what you mean about the low graded player entering the higher tourns. You see it a lot with juniors. I always thought these guys would be better off winning the lower tourns for a year or two before moving up when their grade justifies it. I’m sure the development of some good players has been stifled because they moved up to fast and never learned to win games. Thrown to quickly in with the lions and only learning to survive, not to thrive.

Only problem for me is that if I get less than say 4/5 I’ll be gutted. Nothing for it then. Time to dust down the old chessboard and put the Rocky 4 LP on.

1940’s? My demob suit still has a few years wear left in it and my hair is self pruning these days.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Aug '13 01:11
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Heddy,

I thought that is what you were trying to say.

I always advise play in the lowest one your grade allows you to play in.
    (though I will defend anyone's right to play where they want.)

Let's say you are 1600, play in a 2000 tourney and get hammered a few times.
    You stay at 1600 and there is a good chance you won't learn anything.

So ...[text shortened]... w haircut and some cool dude clothes.
    That 1940's look went out in the.....1940's.
    Perfect reply. I always play wherever my rating places me, with the idea that if I want to play up, I need to earn my seat at the table.

I don't want to play down, so I should not expect others to be any different.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Aug '13 20:41
    Originally posted by Tygert
    I really don't understand this thread. Sorry for being thick if there's a hidden message or something.
    I have no idea what the op motive was. But it felt right to be, what, fake quiet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree