1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 14:321 edit
    Well, this seems like pretty important news. A new release of Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games. Not released yet, preorders only at this time. Paperback, algebraic notation. I haven't found the book mentioned on Amazon yet. I guess this answers the question of who owns the publication rights to the book (Batsford). You guys who have been thinking about selling your old copy on eBay, you'd better do it fast before word of this gets out. 🙂

A quote from the ad:

"In contrast with the previous edition of this book, no alterations have been made to the text other than the conversion of moves into algebraic notation, making this an updated yet accurate reflection of the original book."

http://www.classicalgames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=002663&Category_Code=

http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=chnew600&Category_Code=chnew
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 16:55
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    [b]Well, this seems like pretty important news. A new release of Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games. Not released yet, preorders only at this time. Paperback, algebraic notation. I haven't found the book mentioned on Amazon yet. I guess this answers the question of who owns the publication rights to the book (Batsford). You guys who have been thinking abou ...[text shortened]... .ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=chnew600&Category_Code=chnew[/
    i wouldn't sell my copy in respect to Fischer, he could not be bought and neither could my copy of his book. My only regret is that it is unsigned, and i doubt if Fischer would have, as its published by Faber, although i don't know to much about the issues involved i was only glad a friend was kind enough to gift me a copy.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 17:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i wouldn't sell my copy in respect to Fischer, he could not be bought and neither could my copy of his book. My only regret is that it is unsigned, and i doubt if Fischer would have, as its published by Faber, although i don't know to much about the issues involved i was only glad a friend was kind enough to gift me a copy.
    Many won't sell their old copies for sentimental reasons (me included), but many would take the money and run. The going price on eBay should drop considerably due to people being able to buy a new copy at a reasonable price.

Yep, if you could talk Fischer into signing, he would only sign the original Simon and Schuster edition. He believed all the others were illegal.

And it sounds like you have a very nice friend. 🙂
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 17:211 edit
    Many won't sell their old copies for sentimental reasons (me included), but many would take the money and run. The going price on eBay should drop considerably due to people being able to buy a new copy at a reasonable price.

Yep, if you could talk Fischer into signing, he would only sign the original Simon and Schuster edition. He believed all the others were illegal.

And it sounds like you have a very nice friend. 🙂
    actually he went to America, married a girl in Baltimore and i looked after all his books while he was there, never thinking that he would come back, and when he did, he gifted me the book. its amusing really as i had been looking on ebay for a copy but was unprepared for the asking price, £150.00, gulp! on the inside cover, he bought it for £3.50. is my edition one of the ones that Fischer claimed that the text was changed? if so maybe i will burn it in a sacrificial offering to his memory!
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 17:29
    actually he went to America, married a girl in Baltimore and i looked after all his books while he was there, never thinking that he would come back, and when he did, he gifted me the book. its amusing really as i had been looking on ebay for a copy but was unprepared for the asking price, £150.00, gulp! on the inside cover, he bought it for £3.50. ...[text shortened]... that the text was changed? if so maybe i will burn it in a sacrificial offering to his memory!
    Instead of burning books why don't ye get yer arse back in te emms thread.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 18:15
    actually he went to America, married a girl in Baltimore and i looked after all his books while he was there, never thinking that he would come back, and when he did, he gifted me the book. its amusing really as i had been looking on ebay for a copy but was unprepared for the asking price, £150.00, gulp! on the inside cover, he bought it for £3.50. ...[text shortened]... that the text was changed? if so maybe i will burn it in a sacrificial offering to his memory!
    I think your Faber edition is okay. It's the 1995 algebraic Batsford edition that caught the wrath of many for hacking up the original words of Fischer. So no book burning for you, young man!
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 18:21
    Hopefully, Batsford's second attempt at the book will meet with more approval from Fischer fanatics. Here's Winter's telling of the tale of the first attempt:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/fischer.html
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 22:15
    Hopefully, Batsford's second attempt at the book will meet with more approval from Fischer fanatics. Here's Winter's telling of the tale of the first attempt:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/fischer.html
    what an incredible article mad rook, one can only hope that they use the opportunity to make amends are restore the authors own thoughts and words.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 00:03
    what an incredible article mad rook, one can only hope that they use the opportunity to make amends are restore the authors own thoughts and words.
    Yeah, the ad does state that this version will be true to the original text (except for conversion to algebraic), so it seems they did learn their lesson.

So now if someone wants some good Fischer game books, he'll be able to buy new copies of Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games and Andy Soltis' Bobby Fischer Rediscovered, and not have to break the bank to do it. Coincidentally, both books are published by Batsford. (And no, I'm not employed by Batsford, nor do I have any financial interest in their book sales!)
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 03:08
    This is great! I was looking to get his book and now I'll just get it with algebraic notation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree