1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Same thing for this one, White to move:

What is the plan?

[fen]r2q1rk1/pb2npbp/1p1ppnp1/2pP4/2P1P3/P1N2N2/1PB2PPP/R1BQR1K1 w - - 0 12[/fen]
    the pawn sacrafice e5 works because it makes black have a bad bishop and allows b4. I am sorry if someone already found the answer or it was already posted. I have only read up to this far and my other post was rushed so I could not find the tactical refutation to b4 right away.

I have only read up to where this diagram was posted.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 00:59
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    the pawn sacrafice e5 works because it makes black have a bad bishop and allows b4. I am sorry if someone already found the answer or it was already posted. I have only read up to this far and my other post was rushed so I could not find the tactical refutation to b4 right away.

I have only read up to where this diagram was posted.
    The solution is provide on the other pages.

b4 is wrong by the way.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 01:023 edits
    The solution is provide on the other pages.

b4 is wrong by the way.
    Acorrding to the guy on the internet sight but I bet Tal would have played e5 and after the center cleared up played b4 because he likes difficult lines and open games. There is not only one answer in a non tactical position there are many good plans available.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 01:251 edit
    Acorrding to the guy on the internet sight but I bet Tal would have played e5 and after the center cleared up played b4 because he likes difficult lines and open games. There is not only one answer in a non tactical position there are many good plans available.
    Deep fritz 8 also likes dxe6. I seen b4 suggested by other people on this site, but when I first saw the puzzle it didn't even come to my mind. I though about exchaning pawns first thing.

If you follow the website after dxe6, white get the initiative and fritz agrees with all those moves. I checked them. Looks like a great plan to me. exchange pawn and then start attacking with the knights and all the pieces become active.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 01:29
    Deep fritz 8 also likes dxe6. I seen b4 suggested by other people on this site, but when I first saw the puzzle it didn't even come to my mind. I though about exchaning pawns first thing.

If you follow the website after dxe6, white get the initiative and fritz agrees with all those moves. I checked them. Looks like a great plan to me. exchange pawn and then start attacking with the knights and all the pieces become active.
    my point was that the right course of action for a player is his stlye. if the players style is agressive and combinative he wants the center open and if he is positional he likes the position to be more closed.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 02:13
    my point was that the right course of action for a player is his stlye. if the players style is agressive and combinative he wants the center open and if he is positional he likes the position to be more closed.
    dxe6 opens up the center and is aggressive.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 02:38
    dxe6 opens up the center and is aggressive.
    but e5 closes the diagonal and allows b4 which furthers the opening of the game.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:01
    but e5 closes the diagonal and allows b4 which furthers the opening of the game.
    How does e5 close the diagonal? I'm not saying these are the best moves but

e5 dxe5 Nxe5 and the diagonal is open.
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:03
    I think he is looking at the idea, e5 de b4, which does close the diagonal to stop Ne4 tactics, but b4 doesn't actually do much of anything, so it's not really a good sequence. The puzzles you are posting Rahim don't seem like middlegame planning positions as much as tactics problems.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:04
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I think he is looking at the idea, e5 de b4, which does close the diagonal to stop Ne4 tactics, but b4 doesn't actually do much of anything, so it's not really a good sequence. The puzzles you are posting Rahim don't seem like middlegame planning positions as much as tactics problems.
    You think this a tactical puzzles? To me it's a middlegame planning thing. There are so many playable moves here for white. You have to pick the right one.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:05
    I agree with the authors comments:

12.a4, 12.b3 or 12.b4 - Look bad at first sight. White really isn't set up for Queenside play.

12.h3 or 12.h4 - The move 12.h3 is timid and does nothing, but 12.h4 looks interesting. The idea of an h4/h5 assault is one that has a certain amount of appeal to it. OK, maybe keep this as a possible move.

12.g3 - No point to that move, and 12.g4 just loses a pawn.

12.e5 - Advancing this pawn would give Black way too many center possibilities. If the center is to be opened, then I don't want Black to pick the method. I want White to keep control, not give it away.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:11
    You think this a tactical puzzles? To me it's a middlegame planning thing. There are so many playable moves here for white. You have to pick the right one.
    Rahim, I'm curious, do you have any Silman books? I have the Amatuers Mind (2nd ed. expanded) and in the back it has many middlegame planning puzzles. Perhaps you should post some of those. If you don't have the book I'd be glad to post some of them.
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:12
    The first one, you can look at it for 20 seconds and figure out that Bg6 is the winning move. To me, I can just look at that and know that white should be looking for something strong. You can look at the queen and the king on h8 and realize something nasty is going to happen. It was the first move I looked at and it wins on the spot. I am not trying to be cocky, but it seems to me like there is no planning necessary. Take some positions out of reassess your chess. Now those would be good positions to talk about.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:13
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Rahim, I'm curious, do you have any Silman books? I have the Amatuers Mind (2nd ed. expanded) and in the back it has many middlegame planning puzzles. Perhaps you should post some of those. If you don't have the book I'd be glad to post some of them.
    BTW, when I first saw this puzzle I was so overwhelmed by the tactical possibilities in it that I found it hard to concentrate on middlegame planning or management at all. I tried, but the tactics had to be analyzed first and that really took up a chunk of time.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 03:131 edit
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    The first one, you can look at it for 20 seconds and figure out that Bg6 is the winning move. To me, I can just look at that and know that white should be looking for something strong. You can look at the queen and the king on h8 and realize something nasty is going to happen. It was the first move I looked at and it wins on the spot. I am not trying to be ...[text shortened]... Take some positions out of reassess your chess. Now those would be good positions to talk about.
    See my post above yours 😛. Ah totally forgot about the first puzzle! Yes that one I looked at tactics almost entirely...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree