1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 08:29
    I was walking through the tournament halls and heard a parent tell his son that "rating tells you the level of player which will be most fun to play." What does rating tell you?
  2. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 08:46
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I was walking through the tournament halls and heard a parent tell his son that "rating tells you the level of player which will be most fun to play." What does rating tell you?
    Not too much. Some players are adept at protecting their rating and some are loons who will lose or win against anyone. There are a couple of 1300 and 1400 rated players that I dread running into OTB and some 1700 and 1800 rated players who fold like a cheap deckchair.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 09:53
    Rating gives an indication of your opponents strength and the sort of opposition you are likely to come up against, nothing more or less. Players however have differing styles, some are tactical some quite strategic players and that style when differennt from yours could have a great impact on the expected result.

I regularly meet some 2100 players against whom I have no fear and beat regularly whereas others graded a "mere" 1700 will be guaranteed to cause me problems. This is because my style tends to the wild, tactical and sacrificial and against quiet strategic players in a closed game I can get frustrated and go in for unwise tactical complications too soon that lose even when a quiet strategic move would maintain my advantage.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 10:03
    What does rating tell you?
    Rating is a theoretical value of ones skill in chess in ideal and constant conditions. However, the world is neither ideal, nor constant. But it's the best value we have, under the circumstances, of a players skill.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 15:131 edit
    it tell's me if my average level of play is improving or not. it doesn't tell me how well my current opponent can play. or how badly I can play. it doesn't guarantee anything.
  6. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 16:50
    Rating tells me:

- The likely skill of the opponent.

- Which section of a tournament I get to play in.

- In a club match, who plays which board

- Whether I appear to be improving or not.

There are all sorts of traps with rating. One player in my last club achieved a rating above his skill by regularly getting into complicated middlegame positions against better opponents, and offering a draw. The next year, his opponents caught on, and his rating fell. I have won (and almost certainly lost!) games due to an opponent playing against rating number, and not the position.

But there is an indication of skill. The comment about with whom you get interesting games is a good way of putting it. Michael de la Maza (Rapid Chess Improvement) suggested max 200 points above your grade, which seems fair. Against a much better or worse player, you are likely to be outplayed/outplay your opponent in most stages of the game.

The last point helps motivation a bit. If I am getting better, it is good to know. If not, I need to think about why: Do I need to look at some aspect of my game? Have I just got too many other things on my mind? Or should I concentrate on *my* game while playing, and not look at others in the tournament hall? Or do I just need to play more with the new opening I have just started with?
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 02:29
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Rating gives an indication of your opponents strength and the sort of opposition you are likely to come up against, nothing more or less. Players however have differing styles, some are tactical some quite strategic players and that style when differennt from yours could have a great impact on the expected result.

I regularly meet some 2100 players ag ...[text shortened]... complications too soon that lose even when a quiet strategic move would maintain my advantage.
    I ought to play you!
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 02:29
    Rating seems inconsistent. Take zebano for instance. He's 1700 something, and I find him the hardest opponent on this site. I feel more comfortable against maris61 who is 2000+!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree