1. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 21:22
    I just read that these two will be playing a six game match in April. All the deals have been made so it is a go!!! Who do RHP members think will come out on top?

This is RARE when two giants can come together and set up a match like this.

It is hard for me to choose because I like both of them...so I pose the question to the forum.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 22:52
    I guess they both want to gain match experience before the Candidates matches.

Kramnik has more match experience of course, but Aronian seems to be raising his play level very high.

It should be very tight, but I would not be surprised to see Kramnik win by 1 point.
  3. Jerusalem
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 09:57
    Originally posted by chesstora
    I just read that these two will be playing a six game match in April. All the deals have been made so it is a go!!! Who do RHP members think will come out on top?

This is RARE when two giants can come together and set up a match like this.

It is hard for me to choose because I like both of them...so I pose the question to the forum.
    Kramnik is better at the begining, Aronian is stronger in middlegame. From my point of view, if they will not show theory novelties (it's a friendly match) , Aronian has a better chances.
    One more thing: it's hard for Aronian to play against Vlady. Levon has only one win (with usual time control) against ex-Wchampion
  4. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 12:27
    I'm a fan of both players but most of my white repertoire is based on Vlads openings. Don't have a favourite just hope it's a good match. Kramnic should be slight favourite as he has more match experience.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 12:31
    It will be a drawfest.
  6. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 17:39
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It will be a drawfest.
    I'm afraid it really will. Kramnik's strategy since 2000 is pretty much to draw the best players and grind out points from the mere 2700's.

Aronian is usually a beast, but during interviews he says he's been working on playing "defensive chess."

The Anand Shirov match was fun. Shirov doesn't care about taking risks, and that gave the game some fireworks.
  7. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 18:071 edit
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    I'm afraid it really will. Kramnik's strategy since 2000 is pretty much to draw the best players and grind out points from the mere 2700's.

Aronian is usually a beast, but during interviews he says he's been working on playing "defensive chess."

The Anand Shirov match was fun. Shirov doesn't care about taking risks, and that gave the game some fireworks.
    Kramnik was a very aggressive player in his teens. Not a swashbuckler like Shirov, more like the controled aggression of Kasparov. By all accounts he was a bit of a drinker at that time so maybe playing with a hangover makes you more likely to sac and go for a knockout.
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 19:32
    If Kramnik draws the match he picks up a couple elo.. enough said.
  9. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 22:50
    What about a chess/boxing match with Aronian vs Gormnally?
    Might be short one as Aronian is a super GM, and Danny is a small guy who is struggling to live up to his GM status.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree