1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 18:02
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    you ask the above question about Game 4114632
    and you have a 1621 rating. no comment. I'm sitting there in silence.
    I don't think he asked specifically of this game. He was very general in his words.

He was simply asking how RHP works, how draw works here. He's been away for two years, and RHP has changed a bit since then.

I don't think he was asking about the draw rule, and not specifically about this game. But this is only my opinion.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 18:23
    Originally posted by twiti
    (Pigface1: I am suprised someone with your rating doesnt know that! However you are not allowed to discuss a game thats in progress, you would be hoping for your opponent to blunder basically.)

listen and listen good usually i play and if the king left the opponent have 20 moves to mate me so dont bla bla too much maybe this site have diffrent rules so if you cannot help so mind your own beisness
    Normal chess rules require a mate in 50 moves not 20 without a pawn being moved or a piece being taken.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 18:282 edits
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Normal chess rules require a mate in 50 moves not 20 without a pawn being moved or a piece being taken.
    I think the rules used to be more complicated and that the 'N' in "game is drawn if there are no captures or pawn moves in N moves" varied depending on what material was left, but several years ago FIDE decided to simplify it and just make it fifty moves for all positions.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 19:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Depends of how many pieces your opponent have.
    Does he also have a king only? Or doesn't have enough pieces to mate you? Then claim the draw.
    Does your opponent have pieces so he can mate you whenever he wants to but doesn't of some obscure reasons, then look for three identical positions, and then, claim the draw.
    Or just go on playing and hope for his time-out, skull him, and get the win for free...
    this brings up a good point...
    if we are left with a king and a pawn, and our opponent has sufficient material for a help mate but no forced mate, and the other guy refuses to accept the draw, do we HAVE to play to the 50 move rule?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 20:21
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    this brings up a good point...
    if we are left with a king and a pawn, and our opponent has sufficient material for a help mate but no forced mate, and the other guy refuses to accept the draw, do we HAVE to play to the 50 move rule?
    In a OTB game, we can always ask the judge or tournament director (?) when in doubt. Who do we ask here...? "Hey, Russ, isn't this a draw?" We cannot even ask in the Help Forum, not while the game is in progress.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 20:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In a OTB game, we can always ask the judge or tournament director (?) when in doubt. Who do we ask here...? "Hey, Russ, isn't this a draw?" We cannot even ask in the Help Forum, not while the game is in progress.
    well yes, but even OTB, does the TD have to declare a draw if a helpmate is possible?
    technically, any checkmate was a helpmate, since checkmates only result from mistakes (no mistakes = draw ; there is no forced mate from the starting position)
  7. San Diego
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 21:04
    Law 6.10 of the FIDE Laws of Chess states, "If a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player's king by any possible series of legal moves, even with the most unskilled counterplay." The game is only automatically drawn if checkmate is not possible. It is not drawn if checkmate is possible, even if it is only possible with the help of "most unskilled" play. So, K+N+N vs. K is not automatically drawn, because K+N+N can mate the K, even though the mate is not forced. The player with K only will have to wait for 50-move rule, time, repetition, or agreement to draw.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 21:06
    Originally posted by HolyT
    Law 6.10 of the FIDE Laws of Chess states, "If a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player's king by any possible series of legal moves, even with the most unskilled counterplay." The game is onl ...[text shortened]... yer with K only will have to wait for 50-move rule, time, repetition, or agreement to draw.
    so if your opponent is in time trouble, and you havea K+N+N vs. his K
    then you could win by just moving around hoping his clock hits zero before 50 moves? that doesn't seem fair...
  9. San Diego
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 21:27
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    so if your opponent is in time trouble, and you havea K+N+N vs. his K
    then you could win by just moving around hoping his clock hits zero before 50 moves? that doesn't seem fair...
    Refer to
    "Article 10: Quickplay Finish
    10.1 A `quickplay finish` is the phase of a game, when all the (remaining) moves must be made in a limited time.

10.2 If the player, having the move, has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may claim a draw before his flag falls. He shall stop the clocks and summon the arbiter.

If the arbiter agrees the opponent is making no effort to win the game by normal means, or that it is not possible to win by normal means, then he shall declare the game drawn. Otherwise he shall postpone his decision or reject the claim.

b. If the arbiter postpones his decision, the opponent may be awarded two extra minutes and the game shall continue in the presence of an arbiter, if possible. The arbiter shall declare the final result later in the game or after a flag has fallen. He shall declare the game drawn if he agrees that the final position cannot be won by normal means, or that the opponent was not making sufficient attempts to win by normal means.

If the arbiter has rejected the claim, the opponent shall be awarded two extra minutes time.

The decision of the arbiter shall be final relating to 10.2 a, b, c."

Eventually, you will get to quickplay time, unless perhaps there is a delay option used. With the delay option, just keep moving quickly enough to add net time to your clock. All you have to do with K vs. K+N+N is NOT make a move which will allow immediate checkmate. If you get to 2 minutes left in quickplay time, then you could claim that your opponent is not making an effort to win by "normal means" (achieving a winning position on the board) in that he's trying to win by time (that's how this rule is understood). If there's no quickplay period and no delay, then you just need to survive to the next phase to get a fresh clock. If none of these situations works for you, then you were in pretty awful time trouble when the K+N+N vs. K situation came about.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 22:09
    Originally posted by HolyT
    Refer to
    "Article 10: Quickplay Finish
    10.1 A `quickplay finish` is the phase of a game, when all the (remaining) moves must be made in a limited time.

10.2 If the player, having the move, has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may claim a draw before his flag falls. He shall stop the clocks and summon the arbiter.

If the arbiter agrees ...[text shortened]... ou, then you were in pretty awful time trouble when the K+N+N vs. K situation came about.
    that bit on the T.D. getting to decide clears it up...
    thanks.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 20:48
    Originally posted by twiti
    thenx everybody for assisting and helping to find the answer for a simple question
    peace
    perhaps you and i should play 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree