Karpov has had an accident

Karpov has had an accident

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
01 Nov 22

Anatoly Karpov has had an accident. Seemingly serious, though the reporting is currently a bit confused. Someone claimed he was attacked in the Duma, but that has been denied by his family. Claims about a high blood alcohol level have not, apparently.

https://worldchess.com/news/all/anatoly-karpov-hospitalized-in-serious-condition/

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
01 Nov 22

@shallow-blue said
Anatoly Karpov has had an accident. Seemingly serious, though the reporting is currently a bit confused. Someone claimed he was attacked in the Duma, but that has been denied by his family. Claims about a high blood alcohol level have not, apparently.

https://worldchess.com/news/all/anatoly-karpov-hospitalized-in-serious-condition/
Viktor Korchnoi would be pleased at this news if he were still alive

Corn Fed 🌽

Moves
01 Nov 22

I'm pretty sure they moved on from that old hatred.
I think.

e4

Moves
01 Nov 22

Yes the two of them finally got around to shaking hands with other in 1984
after going for 43 games since game 7 of the 1978 match without shaking hands.

Corn Fed 🌽

Moves
01 Nov 22

True, I seem to remember a video clip of Karpov saying they were amicable.

I hope Karpov is ok but all the greats must die in Chess.

It is the Law.

Corn Fed 🌽

Moves
01 Nov 22

The be a Chess God, You must die.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
02 Nov 22

@greenpawn34 said
Yes the two of them finally got around to shaking hands with other in 1984
after going for 43 games since game 7 of the 1978 match without shaking hands.
Didn't know that.
Probably the dissolving of the USSR was a factor

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
02 Nov 22
5 edits

@shallow-blue said

There's a good chance Karpov simply fell and injured himself while under the influence of alcohol. His recent return to chess after a long absence was akin to an old boxer climbing back into the ring, his rusty skills are now only a dim reflection of the bright young talent he used to be. This has to be demoralizing for a former world champion. He hasn't taken good care of his health. Very overweight, stopped exercising, drank too much etc. I hate to see things like this. 🙁

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
02 Nov 22

@mchill said
There's a good chance Karpov simply fell and injured himself while under the influence of alcohol. His recent return to chess after a long absence was akin to an old boxer climbing back into the ring, his rusty skills are now only a dim reflection of the bright young talent he used to be. This has to be demoralizing for a former world champion. He hasn't taken good care of hi ...[text shortened]... ealth. Very overweight, stopped exercising, drank too much etc. I hate to see things like this. 🙁
All of those things apply to me,but I'm not a chess champion!

Corn Fed 🌽

Moves
02 Nov 22

@venda said
All of those things apply to me,but I'm not a chess champion!
Hahaha me too

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
03 Nov 22

@Kannstipated
I AM IMMORTAL !

Corn Fed 🌽

Moves
04 Nov 22

@ketchuplover said
@Kannstipated