1. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 18:32
    What is wrong with me?

I am NOT a dummy, but what is wrong? I have book after book on tactics and on strategy.

But look at my record on rhp. Lost lost lost etc.On another site I got up to 1500 then fell back down to 1390.

I am discouraged and mad with myself.

Greenpawn, where are you???????

Grit
  2. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 19:55
    Originally posted by grit
    What is wrong with me?

I am NOT a dummy, but what is wrong? I have book after book on tactics and on strategy.

But look at my record on rhp. Lost lost lost etc.On another site I got up to 1500 then fell back down to 1390.

Grit
    Check all checks

I just looked through 3 of your games at random and they all ended because you missed a mate in 1.
  3. e4
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 20:07
    Keep at it. In time you will get better.
  4. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 20:24
    challenge chess moose.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 21:12
    Material is important, don't give away your pieces

Gave away your knight: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7725296

Gave away your queen: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7725308

Gave away your queen by moving a piece you shouldn't have moved: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7725308

Stop giving away your pieces and you'll start winning more games.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 22:44
    What is wrong with me?

Grit
    Hi Grit, it's good to see that you're still enjoying this wonderful game of chess, but sorry to hear of your frustration.

My two cents, for what it's worth:

Your biggest roadblock is that you're still making way too many one-move blunders. (Nothing new here, it's just what Greenpawn and others have noticed.)

Put all of your books off to the side. For now, leave them alone, don't even touch them. 🙂

Write the following down on a piece of paper: "Every move, time permitting, I will check all checks, captures, and threats of my move and my opponent's move in reply. I will do this on every move, without fail."

Now put that paper next to your PC monitor or your chessboard, whichever one you are using. Then just try that for a few weeks, see if it helps your game.

Keep the faith!
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 23:36
    What is wrong with me?

Grit
    tactics, tactics, tactics. every single day.

reading about them is less than 1% of the job. less than a 100th of 1%. you need to drill them everyday. drill, drill and drill again.

http://chess.emrald.net/

aim for accuracy, not rating. every missed tactic would cost you the game. there's no margin for error.
  8. e4
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 23:53
    What is wrong with me?

Grit
    I have a tactics book on my bedside table and I do at least 10 problems before I go to sleep every night. It doesn't seem like much but over time you should get to 1500 that way.
  9. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 01:03
    Where am I?

I'm pulling what's left of my hair out.

I cannot discuss your games in progress.

I'm waitng for Game 7725301 to finish....
    Please no more comments about it.

I've even invited Paulfromfics into Bates to see if I'm doing anything wrong.
    You played better before you joined Bates Motel.
    I've never seen anything like it. You play bad chess briliantly.🙂
  10. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 05:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I'm waitng for Game 7725301 to finish....
    Please no more comments about it.
    This was very interesting.

grit: Take that game and reverse the colours so that black is now white and white is now black.

I say this because I ended up in a very similar position once (as white). When I reversed the colours (and the sides of the board) I realized immediately what I had done wrong and never ever did it again.

Also: Would you challenge me to a game? 🙂 I havent played in over a month now as I am playing in the fast movers tournament, oh sweet irony!
  11. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:20
    Grit, is it possible that you are currently suffering from 'advice overload'? You might want to try playing a dozen or so games without looking for an opinion on how you played and just see how the games go. A weak comparison-but my bowling average dropped 60 points when people tried to tell me how to bowl. I got so self concious that I could actually throw the ball with any sort of grace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree