1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 08:242 edits
    I firstly started to play only because my friends played a lot altough I wasn't interested in the game. I soon got addicted when I bought Chessmaster 10th edition. My goal was to beat "Josh age six" personality rated 1200 and get 1200 chessmaster rating and that was pretty tough call 😛 At the same time I discovered RHP but somehow I couldn't get my rating more than 1000. So I started to play and learn harder. After one and a half year since my start I managed to play at 1250 level and my new milestone was 1400.

I remember how I looked with envy players which managed to get to 1400 following RahimK lessons "How to get to 1400 thread".

Now, after three and a half years of chess I can play evenly against my 1800 OTB rated cousin and I am 1700+ here. Two years ago I thought that was impossible but now more than ever I see how primmitive my games and thinking procceses are. So now I think 2000 is the least I want in the next few years...

Altough I FINALLY stopped to do one move blunders and overlook pieces or simple tactics (except blitz where I have HUGE amplitudes, usually in favor of very bad playing) I realize that my calculation and visualisation skills are pretty basic, my opening repertoire seems to be bigger and bigger problem, I know strategic principles but I do not use them enough, endgame could be much better...

How high are your chess improving desires ? In general, more I improve, more I realize that my curernt level is not enough to enjoy immensly big potential of this game.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 08:57
    I suppose I just want to raise my level to 1800+ here. My real aspirations for chess are in OTB play.
  3. ALG
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 10:27
    2459+ 😉
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 11:24
    FM in OTB and 2000+ here and 2000+ in all fics bests...
    After this(which I might never accomplish 🙁 ) I will quit chess and I will try to get 1 DAN amateur in Go 🙂
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 11:56
    There does come a point, in any game, where improvement takes a massive amount of effort and even when you are at those higher levels it is a struggle on every single move + you have to know tons of opening theory, positional plans and endgames just to be on level terms with your contemporaries.

Plus, you get more engine users targeting you in order to get their ratings higher.
  6. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 12:45
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    There does come a point, in any game, where improvement takes a massive amount of effort and even when you are at those higher levels it is a struggle on every single move + you have to know tons of opening theory, positional plans and endgames just to be on level terms with your contemporaries.

Plus, you get more engine users targeting you in order to get their ratings higher.
    Thanks Debbie downer.... :'(

🙂
  7. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 13:07
    I would love to hit 2000+ fide elo which im sure i will do 1 day 🙂....
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 13:57
    Hi Ivan.
    Actually so far you've been playing at the GM level. You can study your progress using your game graph. Notice the steep up swings. This suggests a learning curve that I couldnt' even comprehend. You have some large down curves but if you look, they're only due to you dumping games with resignations and move time outs. So to answer your question I think whatever your study methods to improve are, they're on-track to you beating the 2000 level in a short while. 😉
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    Hi Ivan.
    Actually so far you've been playing at the GM level. You can study your progress using your game graph. Notice the steep up swings. This suggests a learning curve that I couldnt' even comprehend. You have some large down curves but if you look, they're only due to you dumping games with resignations and move time outs. So to answer your ques ...[text shortened]... methods to improve are, they're on-track to you beating the 2000 level in a short while. 😉
    Wow, you really do think so ?

Ever watched sky jumping (winter Olympic games). Those big downhills (i. e. resigned games) are here to gain momentum.. So accelerating, accelerating, accelerating (fasten your seat belts), accelerating, and then.....
    JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP ! ! ! jEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH !!

😵
  10. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 14:07
    (My aspirations are per USCF OTB ratings) I have ambition to get to at least 1800. I'm not really sure if my interest and stamina will carry that. Back in middle school, the best kid on our team was 1500+ USCF. So I certainly want to get to at least PAST that. I also have an uncle that was 1800 (he doesn't really play much anymore). I fancy myself as at least as smart as him, so that is the milestone for some reason.
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 14:20
    2000 USCF though I have to hit 1700 first =/
  12. USA
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 14:29
    I am currently 1770 USCF. My minimum goal is to reach master (2200 USCF), maybe FM. IM would be a stretch, but maybe some day.
  13. washington
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 18:38
    on here I am only rated 1600, but gameknot i've focused my games and my rating is now 1822. I have passed the thresh hold of when the game is less of a wonder of whether you will win or not and it is much easier to tell when you are going to lose... ;-(. Since I have passed that threshold I wish to become an expert and after I finish college focus more time and become a master.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 19:17
    I just want to understand more, master stuff I don't know yet. I don't really care much what that means in rating anymore.
  15. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 19:41
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I just want to understand more, master stuff I don't know yet. I don't really care much what that means in rating anymore.
    Me too but isn't the rating indicator of mastered stuff and chess understanding ? I do not play because of rating per se but how would you otherwise track your progress if not with statistical rating points ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree