14 Apr '19 19:39
    Did Karpov ever play Fischer?
    In previous tournaments?
  2. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Moves
    14 Apr '19 22:02
    @chessturd

Fischer BLACK??? No wonder you all were in prison!!!!
  3. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 01:03
    LoL they seriously think he is. Well the ones I was arguing with do. I'll never forget that.
  4. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 09:31
    @majesski1957 said
    @chessturd
    I dont think the statement Fischer Ran Scared is quite the right phrase, however the reason behind Fischer not defending his title was i think a combination of two issues:
    1.) Mentally Fischer was having serious Issues, this was well documented by his Second for many years Larry Evans.
    2.) Fischer had not played a competitive game for over 2 years so to ...[text shortened]... nging and lack of a decent childhood he was probably always doomed to a meltdown, rather sad really.
    so it wasn't from the George Bush persecutions?
  5. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 19:38
    Julian Assange. BF #2
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 15:28
    @chessturd said
    Did Karpov ever play Fischer?
    In previous tournaments?
    Your thesis is BS. Think about the Spassky/Fischer match in 72, the first game Fischer was pissed he didn't get his way and refused to play game one which he lost by default. He wasn't scared of Spas, he was going on his own internal principle about the match and was goaded in to played the rest of that match and beat Spas the first game they actually played. So the idea he was afraid of Karpov is utter gum pucky.
  7. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:35
    So you say that Fischer wasn't scared of Karpov because he wasn't scared of Spassky?

What kind of logic is that? 🤪
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 19:40
    @chessturd said
    So you say that Fischer wasn't scared of Karpov because he wasn't scared of Spassky?

What kind of logic is that? 🤪
    So you are trying to figure out the mind of a genius even though an 1800 player can kick your butt? Good luck with that.
  9. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 20:07
    I could say the same to you.
  10. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 21:321 edit
    sonhouse rating 1728
    Average opponent rating 1300-1500

chessturd rating 1703
    Average opponent rating 1741

😉
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Apr '19 12:35
    @sonhouse said
    Your thesis is BS. Think about the Spassky/Fischer match in 72, the first game Fischer was pissed he didn't get his way and refused to play game one which he lost by default. He wasn't scared of Spas, he was going on his own internal principle about the match and was goaded in to played the rest of that match and beat Spas the first game they actually played. So the idea he was afraid of Karpov is utter gum pucky.
    I don't agree with the thesis, either, but we should be careful to make sure our facts are straight before entering the debate.

Fischer played the first round, and blundered in the endgame. For reasons we may never know for sure, he forfeited the second game.

Perhaps it was a principle, or perhaps he was simply embarrassed, or just wanted to pause before continuing. It may well have been all of them, or other reasons we know nothing about.
  12. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 Apr '19 04:38
    @greenpawn34

I read an opinion someplace that likened the 1992 Fischer - Spassky match to a couple of aging boxers doing one last exhabition match before going out to pasture.

Essentially the author of that opinion said that chess theory had made great strides since the early 70's, and neither Spassky or Fischer had kept up.

As far as the quality of the games, he said the games could have been played by the most average GM, which I figure is under 2600 elo, strength wise. Perhaps some of the games could have been played by an IM on a good day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree