1. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 23:34
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    According to the FIDE rules, the arbiter/controller is the person who decides on the outcome of the game. The person whose phone went off will get zero points, but the other player may get zero, half or a full point at the discretion of the arbiter.
    I can't believe that is entirely the case. I once put this issue to the renowned arbiter Geurt Gijssen. The only time such an instance doesn't lead to a straight loss for the player whose mobile phone has gone off, would seem to be if it happens before his opponent has got to the board. If the opponent then failed to turn up before the default time, there would be a double default.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:04
    Originally posted by Katastroof
    It's not that difficult to turn off a cellphone.Are people so addicted to their little toy they can't do without it for a few hours?
    Some may be addicted, but I suspect that most of the time they just forget to turn it off. In Nigel's case, he actually did turn it off. He was forfeited when the phone's low battery alarm went off. 😞
  3. Hollow earth
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:12
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Some may be addicted, but I suspect that most of the time they just forget to turn it off. In Nigel's case, he actually did turn it off. He was forfeited when the phone's low battery alarm went off. 😞
    Hm,if the phone is turned off the battery alarm cannot go off.Or can it?I assume he set it to some sort of silent mode?

Anyway,I guess people will have to add it to their mental checklist before a game: 1.board and pieces? check! 2.pen + scoresheet? check! 3.am I fully clothed? check! 4.cellphone's off? check!
    It's beyond my understanding.Guess I really am an old fart who lost touch with modern day society 😞
  4. e4
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:13
    I wonder if he could sue the company.
    He should do, that would put chess back in the headlines.
    They (the press) only seem interested in chess when something
    silly like this happens.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:20
    Hm,if the phone is turned off the battery alarm cannot go off.Or can it?I assume he set it to some sort of silent mode?
    According to the ChessVibes report, Nigel claims to have turned off the phone, and he thinks the low battery warning somehow must have overridden the turned off status.

http://www.chessvibes.com/coverstory/nigel-short-vs-his-mobile-0-1/
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:21
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I wonder if he could sue the company.
    He should do, that would put chess back in the headlines.
    They (the press) only seem interested in chess when something
    silly like this happens.
    Yes! When in doubt, sue! It's the only litigious thing to do! 😀
  7. The sky
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 00:25
    According to the ChessVibes report, Nigel claims to have turned off the phone, and he thinks the low battery warning somehow must have overridden the turned off status.

http://www.chessvibes.com/coverstory/nigel-short-vs-his-mobile-0-1/
    A brilliant move by the phone!
  8. Hollow earth
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 01:131 edit
    Think I'll buy a bunch of mobiles to sneak them in the jacket of my opponents with the alarm set(if I can figure out how LOL).In a few years I'll write history by being the world's weakest GM 😏

Actually,someone is bound to try this sooner or later.You can bet on it!
  9. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 07:06
    I was playing in the Scottish championships a couple of years ago. I had switched off my phone (in front of my opponent) but somehow managed to accidentally switch it on in my pocket during the game! The arbiter spoke to my opponent, who said he didn't want to win the game that way, so we continued. I was so put off by the incident though that I offered a draw (at move 10!)-just couldn't concentrate.

Then a year or so ago in the National League (Scottish) I again switched off my phone, but during the game my alarm went off! Again my opponent refused to take the win.

Both times I was prepared to lose the game as it was my own stupid fault, but if the rule is to prevent cheating, then it's good that an arbiter has some discretion in these cases.

Now I triple-check my phone is off, and then bury it in molten lead 7 miles underground during games just to be sure : )
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 04:43
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I spotted one other RHPer in the crosstable, but he prefers to stay anonymous....
    What's your obsession with naming people in the forums? You have provided the unsolicited names of more people than Jason. This is a tad immature.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 10:121 edit
    Anyway,I guess people will have to add it to their mental checklist before a game: 1.board and pieces? check! 2.pen + scoresheet? check! 3.am I fully clothed? check! 4.cellphone's off? check!
    Well yes they should ... although personally I don't have to bother with point three as I always play naked.

When I work I have to have my phone off 90% of the day. I've never - and I mean NEVER - had my phone ring or make any kind of noise when I need it not to. It's because for professional reasons I need to not have it ring and therefore I make sure it won't ring.

For similar reasons I've never had my phone go off in a theatre or at the cinema.

It's really quite easy and just involves giving a little thought and respect to other people.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 19:531 edit
    David Tebb won in round 7, bringing him up to 50% for the tournament so far.

It was an interesting game where David clearly had the initiative. He offered an exchange sac, which his opponent declined, then David won the exchange himself a move or two later, forcing his opponent to resign.

Who says the bishop pair is significantly better than two knights?
  13. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 20:54
    I remember a time when I was playing a county match and felt my phone start vibrating in my pocket. It was not too loud so my opponent didnt hear but it went on and on and on so eventually I got up and went outside to give whoever it was a good bit of abuse for ringing me in an important match. It turned out that it was a message from myself, reminding me that I had chess that day.... D'OH!
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 10:49
    Adams vs Short today. Should be interesting as Short seems to be playing pretty well recently. The game can be seen live here: http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/live.htm from 2:00pm onwards.
  15. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 11:12
    Should be a good one, but my money is on Adams. He has white, and needs to win.

Short is much better with the white pieces than he is with black (more so than many other top players in my opinion) so he'll have a tough time I imagine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree