1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 18:16
    Back when my rating on FICS was 650ish, I was playing chess with high school students during lunch and down times.

A German exchange student was watching so I asked him if he wanted to play. His answer was that he did not like chess because it is too much work.

At the time I thought his response was odd. Now I can see where he was coming from, at least if he was taught to play chess "right".

So what is the balance? When are you good enough?
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 18:251 edit
    1800 and playing against 1800 Is good enough.
    (1800 in real chess tournaments, so about 2000 online)
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 20:16
    @cheesemaster said
    1800 and playing against 1800 Is good enough.
    (1800 in real chess tournaments, so about 2000 online)
    So you still need about 400 points of improvement?
  4. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 20:461 edit
    @eladar said
    Back when my rating on FICS was 650ish, I was playing chess with high school students during lunch and down times.

A German exchange student was watching so I asked him if he wanted to play. His answer was that he did not like chess because it is too much work.

At the time I thought his response was odd. Now I can see where he was coming from, at least if he was taught to play chess "right".

The answer to these 2 questions depends on the individual. If you're happy with some occasional games at the beginner level, then the balance is OK for you and you're good enough. If however, you want to play at a higher level, more study and games against stronger players will be required. To put it another way: The only problem with moving up in class is you have to work harder to stay there.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 21:05
    @mchill said

The answer to these 2 questions depends on the individual. If you're happy with some occasional games at the beginner level, then the balance is OK for you and you're good enough. If however, you want to play at a higher level, more study and games against stronger players will be required. To put it another way: The only problem with moving up in class is you have to work harder to stay there.
    After watching Eric Rosen talk his way through a 10 minute games, the calculations he made seemed effortless.

I guess just like anything we do, results will vary. If nothing else, learning chess as an adult helps develop different parts of the brain.

Just have to keep it rewarding enough to not simply quit playing because it is not worth it.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 21:21
    @eladar said
    So you still need about 400 points of improvement?
    That is the goal.

It will be tough but I am studying regularly.
    My worst habit is taking less than 10 seconds per move 🤔
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 22:25
    @cheesemaster said
    That is the goal.

It will be tough but I am studying regularly.
    My worst habit is taking less than 10 seconds per move 🤔
    That is what I mean about chess being too much work for most people.

Three things would help me to maximize my game at the moment.

Greatly increased skill in visualizing calculations, taking time to look for moves as I would doing a tactics puzzle and board vision.

Taking the time to look at the board as if it were a tactics puzzle would greatly help with board vision.

Carrying this out consistently would take a lot of work.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 22:30
    If becoming a chessmaster were easy we wouldn't do it or we wouldn't value such an accomplishment.

I enjoy the work.

I was stuck at 1200 for over 10 years.
    Now I am 1600.
    Adult players can improve.

Anyone can get to 1800 OTB.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '20 23:11
    As long as you enjoy the work you are doing.
  10. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 05:212 edits
    @eladar said
    That is what I mean about chess being too much work for most people.

Three things would help me to maximize my game at the moment.

Greatly increased skill in visualizing calculations, taking time to look for moves as I would doing a tactics puzzle and board vision.

Taking the time to look at the board as if it were a tactics puzzle would greatly help with board vision.

Carrying this out consistently would take a lot of work.
    If I may suggest, setting aside 1 hour everyday for some tactics book training, and a few 30 min. games a week on chess.com or other sites is really not a lot of work. Most people spend more time than that everyday in front of their TV's. It all comes down to priorities.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 14:21
    @mchill said
    If I may suggest, setting aside 1 hour everyday for some tactics book training, and a few 30 min. games a week on chess.com or other sites is really not a lot of work. Most people spend more time than that everyday in front of their TV's. It all comes down to priorities.
    No, it is the constant thought that is a lot of work. I do not do tactics books, I do chesstempo.

Playing multiple 10 minute games is a lot more fun than playing one 30 minute game.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Oct '20 18:05
    @eladar said
    No, it is the constant thought that is a lot of work. I do not do tactics books, I do chesstempo.

Playing multiple 10 minute games is a lot more fun than playing one 30 minute game.
    I do know the syndrome which you're referring to. In a problem or study the instruction will be something along the lines of "White to play and Mate in 3.", so it's quite clear that something tactical is available. In an actual game, unless there's a kibitzer to say, one doesn't receive that kind of instruction. So practicing keeping track of checks, captures and threats - in order of importance - is the way forward. I tend to agree that treating each position in an otb game as a problem is just too much work. However, I think it's possible to work out a system where maintaining awareness of these three aspects, both your own and your opponent's checks, captures and threats, should provide the warning that it's time to go into problem solving mode and find a way to checkmate them. I don't know how to do that yet, I rely on intuition, but this is a helpful debate - I now know what I have to work on - other than endings.
  13. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 11:17
    @eladar said

Well, It seems you've found your enjoyment balance - so why are you asking about it here?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 17:371 edit
    @mchill said

Well, It seems you've found your enjoyment balance - so why are you asking about it here?
    This is a discussion, not a question.

If what it takes to get better ruins the fun of the game, then it is likely to cause people to simply quit playing.

If a game dominates your life and you find no joy in it other than winning, then the game plays you.
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 18:54
    What if it dominates my life and I ALWAYS find joy in it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree