1. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 19:54
    hi, is there anyway to search through a database on a thematic positional principles, like say, isolated pawn, doubled pawns, good doubled pawns, double isolated pawns, backward pawn, pawn wedge, attack on pawn wedge, pawn chain, attacking pawn chain etc etc etc so that games containing these features may be produced? it seems such a waste of time to base them on openings. Is there a way to search for these features?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 20:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    hi, is there anyway to search through a database on a thematic positional principles, like say, isolated pawn, doubled pawns, good doubled pawns, double isolated pawns, backward pawn, pawn wedge, attack on pawn wedge, pawn chain, attacking pawn chain etc etc etc so that games containing these features may be produced? it seems such a waste of time to base them on openings. Is there a way to search for these features?
    yes, with ChessBase. I believe that Chess Assistant has this capability as well.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 20:50
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    yes, with ChessBase. I believe that Chess Assistant has this capability as well.
    him i have chess base, any idea how you do it oh great and illustrious trout fly of the universe! i would be much obliged if you could show Robbie, son of a thousand opening traps, the path to enlightenment! 🙂
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 21:43
    certain openings tend to feature these sort of things more then others. the isolated queen pawn tends to crop up often in c3 sicillian and caro kahn games most for whtie and for black it is quite a frequent and unwelome guest in some lines of the french and sicillian.
    Attacking a pawn chain is a usual strategy for white in the 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 games, these also quite often feature a minority attack.

If you study the ruy lopez exchange variation you should be able to learn everything you need about the doubled pawn. There is also some line of the petroff, and french if you want to se how black handles those sort of position.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 22:222 edits
    him i have chess base, any idea how you do it oh great and illustrious trout fly of the universe! i would be much obliged if you could show Robbie, son of a thousand opening traps, the path to enlightenment! 🙂
    Edit/Filter games/material, and in some cases manoeuvres.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 23:00
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    certain openings tend to feature these sort of things more then others. the isolated queen pawn tends to crop up often in c3 sicillian and caro kahn games most for whtie and for black it is quite a frequent and unwelome guest in some lines of the french and sicillian.
    Attacking a pawn chain is a usual strategy for white in the 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 gam ...[text shortened]... some line of the petroff, and french if you want to se how black handles those sort of position.
    this is an interesting method, learning positional thematics through the study of openings , mmmm, very interesting Mr.Bond.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 23:01
    Originally posted by philidor position
    Edit/Filter games/material, and in some cases manoeuvres.
    ok, i shall try to see what i can do, many thanks, i may get back to you if i fail, miserably.
  8. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:30
    Buy Pawn Power by Hans Kmoch or borrow it from your library.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:36
    In chessbase, if you open up the "bigbase" that comes with the program, there are a series of tabs at the top for different functions.

One of those tabs is labeled "strategy". There is a subheading for pawns, and under that subheading is a section for isolated pawns. When you click the "+" to expand the menu, it will give you a choice of a variety of isolated pawns from which to choose.

That said, I would follow Geoff's advice and get Pawn Power in Chess by Hans Kmoch. After that book, you could go back to chessbase with knowledge you can apply to what you find.

I own the book in algebraic, and it is money well spent.

Paul
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:401 edit
    In the database view, you'll see a strategy tab. Click on that. It is limited though--d6 outpost is one theme it catches. For other themes (most), philidor_position has already pointed out the way. I would add to his helpful comment that you can also search for partial positions. For instance, on the search board, place white pawns at d3 and d4 leaving the rest of the board blank. Click mirror horizontal and vertical, and you should get many games with doubled pawns on the center files.

edit: what Paul said, too. Good advice!

As you see, there are many ways to search.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:22
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Buy Pawn Power by Hans Kmoch or borrow it from your library.
    i ordered it an it got lost in the Christmas post! the dude from Amazon is sending me a check to refund the dosh!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:22
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    In chessbase, if you open up the "bigbase" that comes with the program, there are a series of tabs at the top for different functions.

One of those tabs is labeled "strategy". There is a subheading for pawns, and under that subheading is a section for isolated pawns. When you click the "+" to expand the menu, it will give you a choice of a variety ...[text shortened]... ply to what you find.

I own the book in algebraic, and it is money well spent.

Paul
    thanks Paul, i noticed this, its awesomeness!
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:231 edit
    i ordered it an it got lost in the Christmas post! the dude from Amazon is sending me a check to refund the dosh!
    You are getting a refund from Amazon. You're a god! They still owe me money from a transaction in 2001 that went sour.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:24
    In the database view, you'll see a strategy tab. Click on that. It is limited though--d6 outpost is one theme it catches. For other themes (most), philidor_position has already pointed out the way. I would add to his helpful comment that you can also search for partial positions. For instance, on the search board, place white pawns at d3 and d4 leaving the r ...[text shortened]... s.

edit: what Paul said, too. Good advice!

As you see, there are many ways to search.
    wow, that is quite powerful Wulebgr, i shall check it out, many thanks, once i master these, i shall be invincible!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:26
    You are getting a refund from Amazon. You're a god! They still owe me money from a transaction in 2001 that went sour.
    my goodness, that's no good! its not Amazon the company, but the seller who who sells through them. thankfully he can claim from the postal service otherwise i was simply willing to let it go, it was not very much!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree