1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 23:39
    Does anyone here play the Czech Benoni? 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 e5 !?
    I was thinking about taking it up. I need a new defense to 1.d4. I have Chess Gladiator by Asa Hoffman, and he plays it a lot.
    It seems like a very closed positional struggle, where the stronger player should win. (Stronger player at a closed maneuvering game, not necessarily higher rated.)
    I have seen a few Petrosian games, but he threw in g6 later. I think I played through an Averbakh game too.
    1. d4 c5 2. d5 e5 seems interesting too. Maybe a f pawn push is possible by black in this one.
    Maybe they interest me because I have played just about everything else but these two defenses. 🙂
    Ideas/Thoughts ???
  2. Hollow earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:176 edits
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Does anyone here play the Czech Benoni? 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 e5 !?
    I was thinking about taking it up. I need a new defense to 1.d4. I have Chess Gladiator by Asa Hoffman, and he plays it a lot.
    It seems like a very closed positional struggle, where the stronger player should win. (Stronger player at a closed maneuvering game, not nece ...[text shortened]... because I have played just about everything else but these two defenses. 🙂
    Ideas/Thoughts ???
    I play it.Though I have virtually no theoretical knowlegde of it.Here's a fantastic game by Larsen.

3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:25
    Very Nice Game ! 🙂 I am really more interested in the line with Be7. Later, h6 and Bg5 are possible to trade off the bishop.
  4. Hollow earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:261 edit
    And here Spassky makes an excellent case for the White side.One of my favorite games ever.And it features Be7 😉

5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:37
    I went through it fast. I will take a deeper look later. Black never got an ounce of counterplay on the queenside. That was quite a brutal beating. Who was black? Hoffman played Bg4 instead of Nbd7. I think one of the MCO's had black playing another move then h3, so Bg4 is intended to beat the h3 move being played. I seem to recall Na6 and Nc7 too. The black side is so flexible any move order is possible, so long as you don't walk into an ambush. I have a Spassky game too, but you might not like it. I was on youtube yesterday, and I looked up Korchnoi. He was talking about beating Boris in 12 moves and Boris crying. I later found out it was a simul, and Spassky was 11 (Korchnoi was 17). 12 moves though !!!
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1080843
  6. Hollow earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:43
    I went through it fast. I will take a deeper look later. Black never got an ounce of counterplay on the queenside. That was quite a brutal beating. Who was black? Hoffman played Bg4 instead of Nbd7. I think one of the MCO's had black playing another move then h3, so Bg4 is intended to beat the h3 move being played. I seem to recall Na6 and ...[text shortened]... (Korchnoi was 17). 12 moves though !!!
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1080843
    Black was Ghitescu,you can see it by clicking on the 'pgn' button.
    Why wouldn't I like a game where spassky gets beaten?It's not like he's my hero,I have no hero's.He just happened to play a few brilliant games and I do like brilliant games 🙂
  7. e4
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:50
    Street Fighter is the lad who uses this opening.
    He will see the Czech Benoni thread and dive in.

BTW his book 'Street Fighting Chess' is being praised by
    all who bought it due to my review.
    Put it on your Christmas list.
    Remember it does has a limited run. (and I'm not on a commission).
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:53
    Who is street fighter? I don't see him in the directory, unless he is unrated and has no profile.
  9. Hollow earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 01:021 edit
    Who is street fighter? I don't see him in the directory, unless he is unrated and has no profile.
    user: 445860

I wish people would stop mentioning his book.Every time I hear or read about it I want to buy it so bad(it really sounds like a great book),but 'she who always knows everything best and always has the last word' made me promise I wouldn't buy any more chessbooks untill I've read every single one I currently own or untill 10 years have passed,whichever comes first.Think I have 9 more years to go before I can buy it 🙁
  10. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 01:151 edit
    User:445860

I can't pull that up. How do I find a player with just the number?
  11. Hollow earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 01:27
    User:445860

I can't pull that up. How do I find a player with just the number?
    Hm,I thought I searched for players this way on the 'find player' thingy.But now it's not possible 😕 Has there been a change made to the site or am I going nuts?

You can do it by clicking on a name in the forum(your own for instance) and replace the number in the adress bar by streetfighter's number.
  12. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 01:31
    There is no mention of who he is, his book, or anything else. Where are you guys getting this information?
  13. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:05
    Say my name 3 times and I appear!

Not sure how i missed this thread yesterday? The Czech Benoni has been my mainstay opening against 1.d4 for many years now. I almost always play the line as played by Larsen (...g6)in the game above - given with superb notes in my book ; )

It has very little charted theory on it, so many players on the white side just use whatever set-up they use against a normal Kings Indian (which it resembles more than it does a true Benoni).

This is a mistake of course, because there are definite differences which can only be appreciated by those who can employ a bit of independent thinking at the chess-board. This is why I score about 90% with it, and there's no reason why you guys can't do the same : )

If i can work out the pgn thing (i know, I know, someone explained it to me in a post already, but i'm dumber than the proverbial pig-poo when it comes to computers) I'll try to post a wee game to explain this.

Anyway, as with almost all my openings, I will play them until I get bored or someone shows me the defects!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:103 edits
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    Say my name 3 times and I appear!

Not sure how i missed this thread yesterday? The Czech Benoni has been my mainstay opening against 1.d4 for many years now. I almost always play the line as played by Larsen (...g6)in the game above - given with superb notes in my book ; )

It has very little charted theory on it, so many players on the white side almost all my openings, I will play them until I get bored or someone shows me the defects!
    streetfighter if you post the pgn, anyone will be happy to do it.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:131 edit
    There is no mention of who he is, his book, or anything else. Where are you guys getting this information?
    he is a Scottish folk hero who has recently published, by all accounts, a rather excellent book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree