1. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 23:25
    For guys out there who have improved there play and rating by using the CTS training method.

How do you convert the new found tactical knowledge to OTB play?

Does it just happen? or did you have to do something else?

(i'm not interested in searching through old forums and crap)
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 23:291 edit
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    For guys out there who have improved there play and rating by using the CTS training method.

I think it just happens. That's the whole idea of learning all the tactics patterns.

Edit - But the key is to do the patterns enough times so that you can see the patterns quickly (within, say 10 to 15 seconds, or even faster). That way, you will also be able to see the patterns in an otb game. Repetition is the key to tactics training.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 23:31
    Originally posted by chessisvanity

I coupled it with a whole lot of tactics books(although my tactics are pretty strong, they are inconsistent)
  4. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 12:17
    It has nothing to do with OTB ratings. The ratings only help gauge your tactical strength and let you know where you stand in the *cough* realm of tactics and combinations.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 12:37
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase
    It has nothing to do with OTB ratings. The ratings only help gauge your tactical strength and let you know where you stand in the *cough* realm of tactics and combinations.
    I humbly disagree. If you had said that CTS ratings aren't perfectly correlated with OTB ratings, I'd have agreed with that. But I can't agree that it has NOTHING to do with OTB ratings. Unless you're getting up into the expert and master categories, chess is mostly tactics. If you can learn more tactics patterns and have quick recall of those patterns, your OTB rating WILL improve.
  6. Dublin
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 14:14
    I'm not sure that the ratings on CTS are too relevant to my OTB play but the practice has definitely improved my ability to spot tactics in games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree