1. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 17:02
    I am a novice, but I do love this game. I would like to buy a book about chess that explains a lot of these terms and manuevers that I hear bandied about on this site. Remember, the book shouldn't be geared towards experts. It should also be a book that I am likely to find in a book store at the mall - not something that's rare or hard to find.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 17:02
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    I am a novice, but I do love this game. I would like to buy a book about chess that explains a lot of these terms and manuevers that I hear bandied about on this site. Remember, the book shouldn't be geared towards experts. It should also be a book that I am likely to find in a book store at the mall - not something that's rare or hard to find.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    tips for young players,
    my fav book of all time
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 18:35

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    I'm "wrestling" with just how to answer your question. (pun definitely intended)

No one book is going to teach you everything about chess, but a good single volume instructional book for novices is Patrick Wolff's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess", 3rd edition. It's a good book, despite the insulting title. And it's in most book stores that carry a decent selection of chess books.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 18:42
    Logical Chess Move by Move
    You can view some of the first few pages here:
    http://tinyurl.com/6bbn8z
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 18:44
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Logical Chess Move by Move
    You can view some of the first few pages here:
    http://tinyurl.com/6bbn8z
    yeah thats my 2nd choice. easy to understand and also nicely written
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 20:16
    You need to find an Iron Sheik avatar. What you're doing is like taking the name Cobra Clutch and not using Sargent Slaughter.

As for a book, I'd suggest Purdy's The Search for Chess Perfection II.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 20:20

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    not a book, but I would recommend chessmaster 10th or grandmaster edition if you don't have it. I think the tutorials there are great for a novice player.
  8. e4
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 20:481 edit
    Looked at a few games - you are leaving pieces hanging
    (loose pieces, your opponent is taking them for nothing).

Before you submit move look at every piece and
    ensure it cannot be taken or it is protected.

You must eradicate this from your game or it will not
    matter book you read.

Books
    First 'Logical Chess' and then 'Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played'.
    Both by Chernev. Excellent books.
    Written for the student by an excellent wordsmith.

(And you really do need a better avatar. )😉
  9. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 21:46
    I agree with the above advice (especially iron tigran : tips for young players, by sadler is really excellent, and greenpawn's advice looks healthy too)

But you won't be able to find those books in a french mall !
    If you're in paris, visit "variantes" (rue saint-andré de arts, Métro saint-michel)

Or you'll have to buy a book in french, there are some really good ones for beginners :

- l'art de faire mat (renaud et kahn) chez payot
    - en collection poche : les échecs (N.Giffard)
    (but there are many more)
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 21:58
    I would recommend that you read ONE of the following books. They call cover basic strategy and tactics quite well:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess by Patrick Wolff (already recommended by Mad Rook)

Chess for Dummies by James Eade

Guide to Good Chess by C. J. S. Purdy (Hard to find, but worth the effort and price.)

After that, I would recommend reading Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev. (already recommended by Squelchbelch and Greenpawn34).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree