1. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 16:09
    Hello,

I am looking for a chess learning software.

I like the tutorials in Chessmaster a lot. Something like that would be great! But about the middle game it mostly covers the basics and an attacking style, based on the authors (Josh Waitzkin, Larry Christensen, Bruce Pandolfini ... almost the same style).

What I need is something like Dvoretsky's "Strategic Play" and "Tactical Play" or the easier equivalents from Silman. Don't these guys or other people from the school of Dvoretsky have something like the Chessmaster tutorial? Maybe some add-on based on the Fritz engine?

I do not like the chess.com chess mentor. It seems to be based on a very primitive engine, most of the time asking for a particular move in a given position without much explanation or flexibility.

About the difficulty level: My Elo at FICS is 1784. I am only good at endgames, for which the Chessmaster tutorials are great.

It does not have to be free.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '08 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by Magnakai
    Hello,

I am looking for a chess learning software.

I like the tutorials in Chessmaster a lot. Something like that would be great! But about the middle game it mostly covers the basics and an attacking style, based on the authors (Josh Waitzkin, Larry Christensen, Bruce Pandolfini ... almost the same style).

What I need is something like Dvoretsky's torials are great.

It does not have to be free.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
    hi, try the chess mentor by Silman, its got tons of explanation, covers more grandmaster games than i have time for, takes you through beginner, intermediate and advanced options, covers every chess/endgame, opening, middle, tactical, positional, strategical scenario you could imagine, has sequential or cyclical solving cycle (remembers the ones you got wrong and lets you try again at a different time) when you make a move that's inaccurate it tells you why, when you make an alternative successful move, it tells you why, there are also supplementary courses in specific disciplines, Sicilian, kings Indian etc is full of theory in advanced section and could be really useful in the hands of someone with the time, - regards Robert
  3. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 04:24
    Hello,

thanks for the tip!

Silman seems to be involved in many chess products, some of which are named "chess mentor". Can you provide a reference, please?
  4. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 05:142 edits
    The chess mentor by Silman is the same one offered at chess.com.

You might check out chessok.com. They sell CT art and other software programs. Their cds on strategy and the middle game are ok. Graphics etc are outdated. I dont really see how it is much better than chess mentor at least from the little I have seen of it but maybe worth a try. You might also look for some fritz media trainers from chessbase.com.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 06:57
    although I hate Silman from the very depths of my heart, I must admit chess mentor is really a very good program, but it demands so much time, it's like a never-ending book.
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 07:04
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    although I hate Silman from the very depths of my heart, I must admit chess mentor is really a very good program, but it demands so much time, it's like a never-ending book.
    If you get a problem slightly wrong does a wagging finger graphic appear along with the text "You're really not that good, are you? You remind me of an 1100 I tried to teach a few years ago. I am Jeremy Silman IM. That stands for International Master."
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 08:51
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    If you get a problem slightly wrong does a wagging finger graphic appear along with the text "You're really not that good, are you? You remind me of an 1100 I tried to teach a few years ago. I am Jeremy Silman IM. That stands for International Master."
    lol, that and more, no actually three little dialogue boxes appear offering the user the option to discreetly access some subtle counsel, direct counsel and strong counsel and then if all else fails the ultimate counsel box appears (yet to be added), and an image of greenpawn, a.k.a alexander Bangiev appears, points his finger at you and says, come let us absorb this kaleidoscopic collage of infinitesimal wisdom, let us set the controls to the heart of the sun and learn traps and sacs, swindles and jingles', and away they flew into the morning sun jingling and jangling as they went on mr. tambourine mans swirling ship!

just wondering if there is a psychedelic approach to chess.😀
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 18:49
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    lol, that would be exactly what I would expect, but surprisingly his writing style is pretty normal when compared to his books. and not all the lectures are his, there are plenty from other masters.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 20:21
    I just downloaded chessimo which has great exercises in all aspects of the game. They have a free demo with the first 5 sections. At 1700 the lower sections might not challenge you but the higher ones certainly will.
  10. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 00:54
    @all, thank you for the good suggestions!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 01:06
    Originally posted by Magnakai
    @all, thank you for the good suggestions!
    hi, if you like i can send you a private link to chess mentor and you can try it if you like, its about 14mb and requires winrar (a free utility) to decompress the files as its uploaded onto an online storage site that i use for storing my files. private mail me if you like - regards Robert.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree