3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 17:41
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    User 117966

+ Game 1412203
    A rating of 2228 makes him a correspondence master. BTW Fred, did you know David from Ealing has this title? He played board one for England in an Olympiad as well i found out the other day!
  4. London
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 17:56
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    A rating of 2228 makes him a correspondence master. BTW Fred, did you know David from Ealing has this title? He played board one for England in an Olympiad as well i found out the other day!
    Sheesh! that is impressive.
  5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 13:19
    Sorry, but you don't get a master title just by having a particular rating, and certainly not for a 2228 rating.

You have to achieve a set of norms - ie specific scores in given tournaments. Just like OTB titles.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 15:41
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Sorry, but you don't get a master title just by having a particular rating, and certainly not for a 2228 rating.

You have to achieve a set of norms - ie specific scores in given tournaments. Just like OTB titles.
    Actually in correspondence chess that is exactly how you get titles. Norms are for OTB Tournament chess.
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 15:51
    Actually in [b]correspondence chess that is exactly how you get titles. Norms are for OTB Tournament chess.[/b]
    Sorry, but it is the ICCF who award correspondence titles, and you have to get norms like OTB chess. (ICCF is the equivalent of FIDE).

I can't get you a link to the ICCF site (it is blocked at work, for some reason), but I assure you that is how it works.

They specifically organise master norm tournaments, so that people can get the necessary components for the title.

You definitely don't get a title just by your rating (unless, of course, they've changed things massively since I last played CC).
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 16:01
    Sorry, but it is the ICCF who award correspondence titles, and you have to get norms like OTB chess. (ICCF is the equivalent of FIDE).

I can't get you a link to the ICCF site (it is blocked at work, for some reason), but I assure you that is how it works.

They specifically organise master norm tournaments, so that people can get the necessary componen ...[text shortened]... st by your rating (unless, of course, they've changed things massively since I last played CC).
    Doesn't the USCF award national master status to those who achieve a 2200 rating? Not correspondence of course, but nevertheless a status awarded entirely by rating and not norms?
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 16:04

They specifically organise master norm tournaments, so that people can get the necessary componen ...[text shortened]... st by your rating (unless, of course, they've changed things massively since I last played CC).
    Actually i thought he played on USCF. As i understand it, to gain a title of Master, one must remain over 2200 for a period of time. If i'm wrong, then well whatever 😛
  10. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 16:071 edit
    Originally posted by Chesswick
    Doesn't the USCF award national master status to those who achieve a 2200 rating? Not correspondence of course, but nevertheless a status awarded entirely by rating and not norms?
    National titles are a different matter.

By definition, every country has their own rules for these, and no doubt some give titles purely on rating. Many countries don't have national master titles at all.

I'm taking about international titles - awarded by FIDE for OTB and ICCF for CC.

Edit - see, for example http://www.bfcc-online.org.uk/files/bfccabout/international/titles.htm

which is the bizarrely named british federation for correspondence chess site (it is bizarre because they ain't british)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree