1. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '09 19:44
    If we're looking at less common lines or at the very least anti-book lines, what are people's thoughts on 2. Na3!? A friend of mine swears by it. At the very least he gains a time advantage OTB.
  2. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '09 19:455 edits
    Originally posted by moteutsch
    Can you show some games? I haven't found any success with it...
    I'll dig out a few next time I'm on my computer that has all my chess stuff on it.

This was played recently on here by me in the one day/three day league.
    It's a delayed Wing gambit. 2...e6 avoids all my Bb5 nonsense
    which I started playing 30 years ago so I employ the wing gambit
    because it goes into one of my anti-French lines.

But it can come about with 1.e4 c5 2.b4 cxb4 3.Nf3 e6.

Anti French: 1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e5 c5 4.b4 and I have whole bucket load
    of wins OTB with that line.

White Me - Black headsy Game 5986139

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '09 21:55
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Could you be a little bit more specific?
    I was referring to the high rated and strong players like the Grandmaster, etc.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '09 22:38
    Originally posted by grit
    What is white's best path when after e4 black plays c5?

grit
    It's almost certain that, if there is in fact a "best" move after 1 e4 c5, it is 2 Nf3. It's also the move that requires the most study, unless you transpose into the King's Indian Attack (e.g., 2...d6 3 g3 Nf6 4 d3 Nc6 5 Bg2 e6 6 O-O).

If you enjoy having the initiative early on AND you don't mind sacrificing a pawn, then the Smith-Morra Gambit suggested earlier in this thread is probably the way to go.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '09 22:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi

Gave up the Morra when a few bods played 3...d3.
    Then the c3 pawn just gets in the way.
    I sometimes play the Smith-Morra Gambit, but I think I'd play it every game against the Sicilian if I knew in advance that Black would play 3...d3. True, White doesn't get to play his gambit, but after 4 Bxd3 it seems to me that White is +=. Not terrible for Black obviously, but if I knew that I was guaranteed to get a += position every time I played against the Sicilian, I'd jump at the opportunity to do so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree