1. under your bed
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 20:38
    I am new here and would appreciate some advice on my chess.

In OTB slow chess I can beat FIDE 2200+ players at the same time I lose horribly to 1400's.

At 6 years old I could beat strong adults then stopped and only got into chess again playing online 15 years later.

I play 15/30 games of correspondence chess at anyone time. I play 5 & 15min blitz chess daily. I also spend 30mins to 1hrs studying tactical solutions to chess puzzles during the day.

I read Think like a Grandmaster by Kotov, I read books on openings and end games.

I play through master games.

My problem is i'm either destroying people or playing like a total patzer, my goal is to get to FM title which is probably a crazy goal which I would forget if it not for the results I have had against stronger players.
  2. Philadelphia
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 20:52
    Judging by what you're saying I think the answer has to be yes.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 22:31
    Originally posted by plopzilla

In OTB slow chess I can beat FIDE 2200+ players
    FULL STOP
    Can you teach me how to do that?! 😛
  4. c6
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 22:33
    Who've you beaten? We want to see a game!

Not challenging your claim, I just love a rousing underdog victory.
  5. e4
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 22:43
    This is a new one to me.

You have things all cock-eyed.

Try reading a chess book back to front.
    This may help undo yourself so you can start again.

Are you sure you do not have the grades mixed up
    and you lose to the 2200+ and win v the 1400's.
  6. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 22:49
    I have an advice: try to enter only in strong tournaments-where only 2200+ players or so are playing...
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 23:05

In OTB slow chess I can beat FIDE 2200+ players at the same time I lose horribly to 1400's...

...My problem is i'm either destroying people or playing like a total patzer, my goal is to get to FM title which is probably a crazy goal which I would forget if it not for the results I have had against stronger players.
    Yeah, for the most part, we should be asking you for advice...

The point that needs to be addressed is: How often do these extremes happen? Assuming that you're about midway between the two extremes, say about 1800, the standard formulas say that your winning expectancy against someone rated 400 points higher is about 9%, and conversely, your losing expectancy against someone rated 400 points lower is also about 9%. Are you only remembering the unusual 9% games, or is this number really much higher?
  8. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 23:34
    If you're telling the truth about beating players that strong the solution to your problem is simple-treat people you think are patzers with the same respect you treat people you think are masters.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 23:41
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    If you're telling the truth about beating players that strong the solution to your problem is simple-treat people you think are patzers with the same respect you treat people you think are masters.
    no way, i pour scorn on masters, treat every move with contempt and yet i have the utmost respect for Patzers, its an underdog thing from being a relatively small nation 🙂
  10. e4
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 00:44
    " its an underdog thing from being a relatively small nation."

Good Grief. Robbie is Welsh.
  11. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 09:45

In OTB slow chess I can beat FIDE 2200+ players at the same time I lose horribly to 1400's.

At 6 years old I could beat strong adults then stopped and only got into chess again playing online 15 years later.

I play 15/30 games of correspondence chess at anyone time. I play 5 & 15min blitz ...[text shortened]... crazy goal which I would forget if it not for the results I have had against stronger players.
    I have gone through your games. Based on my opinion you have the capability can beat a FIDE 2300 player although it might be in rare occasions. I beat a FIDE1800 about 20++ years ago. At that time my strength in chess was inferior than I'm today.

I have two opinions to offer. First, you have the capability to think deep if you get the right line of play. You can pull a surprise to your opponent and win. They were beaten with your surprise & complex attacking maneuver. Your weakness is you fail easily to capture the important line of play. You can be beaten even by a simple and direct attack. That explains why a player that is weaker than you can beat you.

Second, I think you put too much effort in attacking but pay little attention to your defense. Try to balance it up.

The way I do it is by looking at my defense first before going for an attack. The idea is this. You may not necessarily lose the game if you fail to capitalize the advantage that might come across. There might be the second chance in future that you can seize and capitalize it. On the other hand, more often you can be easily beaten if you fail to put a proper defense even only once.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 16:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    " its an underdog thing from being a relatively small nation."

Good Grief. Robbie is Welsh.
    yes indeed the Kingdom of Strathclyde used to reach from Glasgow to North Wales 🙂
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:13
    While I imagine there is some hyperbole in your post- it is not so uncommon to play your best chess against strong opponents and fail to play up to your level against weaker ones.

When playing strong opposition, typically, they go after you. They want to get the game over with and the faster the better. This presents you opportunities to disprove their ideas.

Against players far weaker, they often adopt a strategy of "prove it", i.e. they will play slightly passive, defensive moves since a draw is a good outcome. This forces you to find plans and create an unbalanced position where you have winning chances.
  14. under your bed
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:58
    Thanks very much, I will take that advice on board.

My provisional FIDE is 1880 based on a few games only. I only ever play in open sections in congresses and my opponents avg ratings are 2150.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree