1. Big D
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 17:01
    Originally posted by z00t
    I'm always surprised when people do not check the rating of the person asking the question and assume they are at their level and go on about Kasparov this Fischer that. We were all newbies and in my case the key was to stop being mated in a few moves. I learned things likes forks, pins and other tactical devices and simple openings.

Although I gave my books ...[text shortened]... .

[b]Can anyone recommend chess books for newbies written in the last five or so years?
    [/b]
    The most important chess "wisdom" wasn't written in the last five or 10 years. Morphy, Steinitz, Capablanca and Alekhine played many years ago. Some of the best books are under the Dover imprint and were written in the 1920s and 1930s. Try those -- they're times, cheap and easy to find.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 11:11
    Its good to see this thread is of use to someone. Even Tal used to watch chess tv lectures intended for beginners/intermediate level players even though he was a GM and an ex-world champ.
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 12:49
    Originally posted by z00t
    Its good to see this thread is of use to someone. Even Tal used to watch chess tv lectures intended for beginners/intermediate level players even though he was a GM and an ex-world champ.
    Never too old to learn, unless of course the occasional ego gets in the way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree