Personal database

Personal database

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
13 Nov 07

I'm interested in constructing a personal database of my games, but I really don't know the first thing about how to do it. Is there software out there to which I could download my RHP games? Any help from those who have done such a thing would be greatly appreciated.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by Fleabitten
I'm interested in constructing a personal database of my games, but I really don't know the first thing about how to do it. Is there software out there to which I could download my RHP games? Any help from those who have done such a thing would be greatly appreciated.
Chessbase Light is free from chessbase.com and will do the trick nicely. You can get a pgn file of a game from RHP then simply cut and paste it to a board in chessbase. It will even automatically write out the game information (opponent, date, event etc) for you.

t

Moves
13 Nov 07

Chess base light for free. Yep downloading and installing is free but you have to pay if you want to use it.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
13 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by timpe
Chess base light for free. Yep downloading and installing is free but you have to pay if you want to use it.
Really?

I've used it before and never paid. I have Chessbase 9 now so it's not an issue.

This page
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight2007/index.asp

implies chessbase lite is free but you can pay extra to upgrade to a more useful version (though chessbase lite will definitely do everything requested by the original poster without the need for this upgrade though)

z

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by timpe
I don't think you've ever actually tried using the software. It's primary limitation is that databases cannot be larger than a certain number of games (32000 or something like that).

MR

Moves
13 Nov 07

Or, instead of going down the Chessbase road, you could install the free Scid database program. There have been numerous threads here about Scid in the past.

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

MR

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by zebano
I don't think you've ever actually tried using the software. It's primary limitation is that databases cannot be larger than a certain number of games (32000 or something like that).
I'm not sure I really want to get involved in this Chessbase Light argument, since I'm not completely knowledgable about it. But what the heck, that shouldn't really stop us, right?

First, I haven't actually used Chessbase Light 2007, although I did install it briefly. Let me explain. I use the Fritz 8 playing program. When I installed Chessbase Light 2007, I accepted the default installation directories, which may have been a mistake on my part. Installing CB Light 2007 royally screwed up my Fritz 8 program, making it unusable. I suspect that some of the CB installation files overwrote some of my Fritz 8 files, but not wanting to waste time trying to determine what had happened, I just uninstalled both CB Light 2007 and Fritz 8, then I reinstalled Fritz 8. I then vowed never to use CB Light 2007 ever again. Maybe I should have chosen different directories for CB Light, but imho, even just choosing the default directories for CB should never break other Fritz programs already installed.

Now, from what I have read on the Chessbase site and other people's reviews, it appears that there is indeed a 32,000 game limit on database size (as Zebano stated), which shouldn't be a problem for most people who are just using it for their personal games. However, it also appears that the free Chessbase Light 2007 only allows viewing of databases. If you want to create or edit databases, you have to buy the upgrade to Chessbase Light Premium. I suspect that's what timpe was referring to in his post. (Zebano, if I'm wrong about this, please let me know.)

Well, that's my two cents. (Or with the dollar falling, maybe it should be 1-1/2 cents.)

z

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I'm not sure I really want to get involved in this Chessbase Light argument, since I'm not completely knowledgable about it. But what the heck, that shouldn't really stop us, right?

First, I haven't actually used Chessbase Light 2007, although I did install it briefly. Let me explain. I use the Fritz 8 playing program. When I installed Chessbase Light 20 ...[text shortened]... ell, that's my two cents. (Or with the dollar falling, maybe it should be 1-1/2 cents.)
I actually used Chessbase light prior to them coming out with this new upgraded light version ($$) so it's hard to say. I purchased the full product and have been happy with it so I am no longer up to date on the light. My understanding has been that the freeware stuff is better than the chessbase light.

t

Moves
13 Nov 07

In the free version of ChessBase Light you cannot create or edit your own databases. You can only view databases that have already been created. The 'Premium' version takes away this limitation and the limitation on the size of the databases.
The main free databases can be found at:
http://scid.sourceforge.net/
http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

Myself, I use ChessBase Premium and I find it does what I need to do in order to look at my games.

MR

Moves
13 Nov 07
2 edits

Originally posted by tapestry
In the free version of ChessBase Light you cannot create or edit your own databases. You can only view databases that have already been created. The 'Premium' version takes away this limitation and the limitation on the size of the databases.
The main free databases can be found at:
http://scid.sourceforge.net/
http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

Myself, I use ChessBase Premium and I find it does what I need to do in order to look at my games.
Yep, I knew that the Premium version of CB Light 2007 also takes away the limitation on the size of the database, but I just forgot to mention it in my post. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, just for information, the Scid link that you posted stops at version 3.6.1. The Scid link that I previously gave is a continuation of Scid by another person, which is more recent than version 3.6.1. (The only minor problem I see with the newest version of Scid is that the manual only discusses new features since version 3.6.1. To get the rest of the manual, you'd also have to download version 3.6.1 to get the original manual.)

I know, keeping track of all of these Scid versions is getting confusing, lol.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
13 Nov 07

Looks like my knowledge of ChessBase lite was out of date - apologies.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
14 Nov 07

Thanks for all of the info/tips. I'll give scid a shot. It looks like it might be just what I'm looking for.

s
Poet

Fågelsången

Moves
14 Nov 07

I have had good use of ChessPad which is a neat PGN editor for the PC which is available for free.

t

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Also, just for information, the Scid link that you posted stops at version 3.6.1. The Scid link that I previously gave is a continuation of Scid by another person, which is more recent than version 3.6.1. (The only minor problem I see with the newest version of Scid is that the manual only discusses new features since version 3.6.1. To get the rest of the m ...[text shortened]... inal manual.)

I know, keeping track of all of these Scid versions is getting confusing, lol.
Sorry - completely missed your link.

I think having used Fritz it was easy to move to another ChessBase product which is why I settled with ChessBase Light. The features I particularly like are the ability to search a database for similar games and ability to annotate your own games. I think one of the crucial features is the quality of the games in your database. If you have poor quality games there won't be much benefit in searching through them.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
14 Nov 07

Originally posted by zebano
And my personal games database now tops 35000. 😳