1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    24 Feb '19 21:371 edit
    Greetings players and fellow patzers,

I write this in a horrible mood after today's performances in the Doncaster Congress.

This was a tougher tournament than usual, for I had entered the Intermediate,
    so my opponents were at a higher level compared to whom I have played previously.

Before today, I was sitting on 2.5/3 points, so in good shape.
    ... I then took only half a point from 2 games that should have both been won.

White to play, spot the winning move/idea

I played Re6+ with the idea that after Kxf5 I play g7
    and if he takes my Rook I get to promote with check... important as otherwise Ra8+ is a draw.
    I had simply overlooked Rxg7 and my Rook is hanging.

-------------------

This next one is even worse.

Black to play, spot the winning move/idea (Edit: Black is going up the board this time, obviously)

I was Black, the game ended up being a dead draw but I refused to take repetitions.
    Stupid pride got in the way and I ended up losing.

-------------------------

I won't be doing a full tournament report like usual,
    which is a shame because some of the games were interesting.

Something tells me I wouldn't have made these mistakes online.
    OTB is a cruel world.

If anyone is interested in seeing any full games, let me know and I can PM you the pgn's.

Cheers,
    Zak
  2. e4
    Moves
    24 Feb '19 23:591 edit
    I can understand the first one, easily done. but the second one!
    First take the pawn and the three pawns out run the Bishop. You use
    the BK to get a pawn to c4 and run the a-pawn, it only has to reach a2.
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 04:40
    Hello Zak,
    A real shame about that last one, especially. If it helps, I yesterday had a bit of a breakdown and finished 0/3 in a tournament; won't be doing a tournament for that one, either, so you're not the only one in your boat. Anyway, best of luck with the next one, if you do get back out there.
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 17:55
    I just laugh about the second one now... a Rook and 3 pawns loses to a Bishop and 1 pawn... simply ridiculous.

The worst part was there were a lot of people stood around watching,
    so a lot of people saw my meltdown.

He was rated ECF 145, joint highest in my section,
    so I can at least say "I had a win against him", even if it didn't materialise.

My next tournament is in 3 weeks, Blackpool... ECF 135 or under.
    Considering my 2 wins this weekend were against a 136 and a 140, my aim is to win the section outright.

I hope to bring good news...
  5. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 00:431 edit
    @64squaresofpain said
    Greetings players and fellow patzers,

I write this in a horrible mood after today's performances in the Doncaster Congress.

This was a tougher tournament than usual, for I had entered the Intermediate,
    so my opponents were at a higher level compared to whom I have played previously.

Before today, I was sitting on 2.5/3 points, so in good shape.
    ... I then t ...[text shortened]... yone is interested in seeing any full games, let me know and I can PM you the pgn's.

Cheers,
    Zak
    Something tells me I wouldn't have made these mistakes online. OTB is a cruel world.

This is why I left OTB years ago, to make matters worse, It is proper to congratulate the winner, and shake their hand, when you'd much prefer to take a pick-axe to the back of their skull! 😠
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 19:54
    @mchill
    Yeah, well I shook his hand, but didn't exactly heap on the praise.

Some of the crowd that watched were eager to tell me about the move I missed,
    which I instantly said "I know, I know, I have no idea why I didn't play it"

What's worse is, if I won, I would have tied for 1st place.
    Because of the loss, I got nada.

Eh well, I can take away the positives, it's a good lesson to learn.

The fact I was winning vs. an ECF145 player shows I've come a long way from stomping minor and standard sections.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree