win and lose but rating changes

win and lose but rating changes

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
alwaysup

uk

Moves
20 Oct 04

have just completed two games against same player in a tournie in which i won one and lost one in the space of 30secs.my rating went down,can someone explain why???

R

London

Moves
20 Oct 04

If you are rated higher than someone else, the expectation is that you will win a game against them. Therefore, you will gain fewer points for winning that you would forfeit for losing.

Interestingly enough, if A and B have the same rating, let's say 1500, then if A wins a game between them, A's rating becomes 1516 and B's becomes 1484. Now A is "expected" to win any game between them (win expectancy = 0.55), so if he loses 17 points change hands: A now has a rating of 1499 while B is rataed 1501.

The practical implication of this is that, if you have a choice and if ratings are what you care about more than sportsmanship, you should take your losses before your wins.

a
alwaysup

uk

Moves
21 Oct 04

thnx,not bothered about my rating per se just confused!!!!! i presumed a win and a loss against same person would keep my rating at same level but now i see how it works,bit like my chess really,always understand how i lose.😕

f
Headless chicken

Avoiding studying

Moves
21 Oct 04

Just to take what Roland said to the extreme: imagine you played a couple of games against, say, Kasparov and won one and lost one. I think you'd be pretty gutted if your rating didn't improve!!!