1. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 12:38
    Hi,

Still no one has answered. Why does a game created and played as 'unrated' still affect ratings when complete? Is this a flaw in the system? Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 12:48
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Hi,

Still no one has answered. Why does a game created and played as 'unrated' still affect ratings when complete? Is this a flaw in the system? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Unrated games will not change your rating... You must be reading something wrong. It will give you a win or lost game, but your rating will not change.

It will bump your last game to your graph, so you may see your graph go up or down based on your last rated game... but if you view your rating in text you will notice it did not change.

P-
  3. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 12:57
    My last game, 268... against a lower rated opponent, was a game I lost. My rating at the outset was 1452 - as my profile shows. You will see my rating is now 1431. His rating has gone up by the same amount. I have not finished any other game in the last 7 days. I am 100% confident that the open invite was 'unrated' as not only did I select it as such, but it appeared as such on the Open Invite menu page and my opponent took up the game on this basis - making a comment in the message facility to that effect. It is a mystery. Do you have first hand experience of playing an unrated game, that didn't affect your rating?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:30
    My last game, 268... against a lower rated opponent, was a game I lost. My rating at the outset was 1452 - as my profile shows. You will see my rating is now 1431. His rating has gone up by the same amount. I have not finished any other game in the last 7 days. I am 100% confident that the open invite was 'unrated' as not only did I select it as such, bu ...[text shortened]... Do you have first hand experience of playing an unrated game, that didn't affect your rating?
    Go to your finished game and click the INFO link next to the game. Be sure it really IS unrated. Yes, I've played unrated games, and they tend to be unrated. Perhaps someone switched the game up on you?? Just because a game is named UNRATED doesn't make it unrated. Use that info link.

I'll play an unrated game if you like and throw it in 5 moves and we can test to see if our ratings change.

P-
  5. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:46
    Yep - it was rated. You were right. Checking my emails, he deleted the original game before I moved as black. The only thing I can think is that he then offered me a rated game, which I just presumed was the original one?

Anyway, the world has turned since then. I need to get out more
  7. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:47
    Thanks by the way
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:49
    Yep - it was rated. You were right. Checking my emails, he deleted the original game before I moved as black. The only thing I can think is that he then offered me a rated game, which I just presumed was the original one?

Anyway, the world has turned since then. I need to get out more
    Always check the info... this user 'deaked' you.. set you up for fun unrated game and changed the terms to get points. You played the game as unrated while he knew it WAS rated.

P-
  9. Earth
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 14:51
    You are right, one to watch. It doesn't excuse the move that lost me the game though. In a world of poor moves, it rates highly 🙂
  10. home
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 08:25
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Always check the info... this user 'deaked' you.. set you up for fun unrated game and changed the terms to get points. You played the game as unrated while he knew it WAS rated.

P-
    Can you really change the terms rated/unrated _after_ the game has started? If so why?
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 08:50
    Originally posted by dsmfire
    Can you really change the terms rated/unrated _after_ the game has started? If so why?
    Read the thread properly. The user was tricked. An unrated game was started with the dupee as black. The duper then deletes the game and sends a new rated game also with the dupee as black.

The games look very similar (apart from the key difference of rated vs. unrated) and the dupee doesn't notice the switch.

The game continues with the duper playing as if it is rated and the dupee playing as if it is unrated.

This trick can also be used to play shorter time controls than the opponent wants to.
  12. home
    Moves
    06 Nov '06 10:16
    So therefore: Read thoroughly the info-flip on your game, while you have the chance to delete it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree