Points of the pieces?

Points of the pieces?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
05 Apr 05

Does anyone know what the different points are for the pieces?

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
05 Apr 05

Originally posted by Shasty13
Does anyone know what the different points are for the pieces?
Pawn = 1
Knight = 3
Bishop = 3
Rook = 5
Queen = 9
King = Unlimited

But none of that really means a lot. All point values are relative to the position on the board. I've seen plenty of Knights that were worth much more than a rook. And a passed pawn can easily be the most valuable piece on the board. Just depends on the action...

Hope that helps.

Wib

S

Moves
05 Apr 05

Thanks it does help.

In a game I've lost my queen and a pawn but I have 3 of his pawns, knight and a bishop.

So I said I have more power but he said he had more points.

I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
05 Apr 05

Originally posted by wib
Pawn = 1
Knight = 3
Bishop = 3
Rook = 5
Queen = 9
King = Unlimited

But none of that really means a lot. All point values are relative to the position on the board. I've seen plenty of Knights that were worth much more than a rook. And a passed pawn can easily be the most valuable piece on the board. Just depends on the action...

Hope that helps.

Wib

Some people say the bishop is like 3.x (usually x <.5)

This once again is dependent on the games advancement. (End game the bishop is "better" than a knight).

Lightly Salted...

Moves
05 Apr 05

Originally posted by Alcra
Some people say the bishop is like 3.x (usually x <.5)

This once again is dependent on the games advancement. (End game the bishop is "better" than a knight).

Depends on the endgame. There are times when a knight will tear apart a Bishop in the ending as he can reach any colored square he wants.