1. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 May '23 00:30
    I am setting up a board, Giuoco Piano Therkatz-Herzog variation .

But it won't let me. It's weird because I am setting up the board the exact same way the tournament I played in had it.

It is asking me for FEN. I don't even know what that is or where to find it. Never saw it before.

Can someone PM me or respond in here on step by step on what to do with this FEN.

Lastly it is saying this with a box. " Set initial board position from FEN"

Thank you,
    Michael
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 May '23 08:452 edits
    @vespin said
    I am setting up a board, Giuoco Piano Therkatz-Herzog variation .

But it won't let me. It's weird because I am setting up the board the exact same way the tournament I played in had it.

It is asking me for FEN. I don't even know what that is or where to find it. Never saw it before.

Can someone PM me or respond in here on step by step on what to do with this FEN. ...[text shortened]...
    Lastly it is saying this with a box. " Set initial board position from FEN"

Thank you,
    Michael
    FEN is a method to note down the position of each figure on the chess board.

The reuired FEN might be:

r1bq1rk1/ppp1nppN/3p4/3P4/2B1R3/8/PP3PPP/R2Q2K1 b - - 0 14

Just copy the line from "r" to "14" and insert in the window.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 May '23 15:23
    @VESPIN
    Here's some information that I cut and pasted from online when I googled "FEN".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    FEN

Forsyth–Edwards Notation (FEN) is a standard notation for describing a particular board position of a chess game. The purpose of FEN is to provide all the necessary information to restart a game from a particular position.

FEN is based on a system developed by the Scottish newspaper journalist, David Forsyth. Forsyth's system became popular in the 19th century; Steven J. Edwards extended it to support use by computers. FEN is an integral part of the Portable Game Notation for chess games, since FEN is used to define initial positions other than the standard one. FEN does not represent sufficient information to decide whether a draw by threefold repetition may be legally claimed or a draw offer may be accepted; for that, a different format such as Extended Position Description is needed.

Contents

1 Definition
    2 Examples

Definition

A FEN "record" defines a particular game position, all in one text line and using only the ASCII character set. A text file with only FEN data records should have the file extension ".fen"

A FEN record contains six fields. The separator between the fields is a space. The fields are:

PIECE PLACEMENT (from white's perspective):
    Each rank is described, starting with rank 8 and ending with rank 1; within each rank, the contents of each square are described from file "a" through file "h".
    Following the Standard Algebraic Notation (SAN), each piece is identified by a single letter taken from the standard English name.
    pawn = "P", knight = "N", bishop = "B", rook = "R", queen = "Q" and king = "K".
    White pieces are designated using upper case letters (PNBRQK) while black pieces use lower case (pnbrqk).
    Empty squares are noted using digits 1 through 8 (the number of empty squares),
    and the "/" separates ranks within the placement field.

ACTIVE COLOR:
    "w" means White moves next, "b" means it is Blacks turn to move.

CASTLING AVAILABILITY:
    If neither side can castle, this is "-". Otherwise, this has one or more letters: "K" (White can castle kingside), "Q" (White can castle queenside), "k" (Black can castle kingside), and/or "q" (Black can castle queenside).

EN PASSANT TARGET SQUARE (in algebraic notation):
    If there's no en passant target square, this is "-". If a pawn has just made a two-square move, this is the position "behind" the pawn. This is recorded regardless of whether there is a pawn in position to make an en passant capture.

HALFMOVE CLOCK:
    This is the number of halfmoves since the last capture or pawn advance. This is used to determine if a draw can be claimed under the fifty-move rule.

FULLMOVE NUMBER:
    The number of the full move. It starts at 1, and is incremented after Black's move.

A Few Examples

Here is the FEN for the starting position:
    rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1

Here is the FEN after the move 1. e4:
    rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKBNR b KQkq e3 0 1

And then after 1. ... c5:
    rnbqkbnr/pp1ppppp/8/2p5/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq c6 0 2

And then after 2. Nf3:
    rnbqkbnr/pp1ppppp/8/2p5/4P3/5N2/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 1 2

I hope this helps.
    You can enter "chess fen description" into a search engine to get more details or examples.
  4. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 May '23 17:46
    @ponderable said
    FEN is a method to note down the position of each figure on the chess board.

The reuired FEN might be:

r1bq1rk1/ppp1nppN/3p4/3P4/2B1R3/8/PP3PPP/R2Q2K1 b - - 0 14

Just copy the line from "r" to "14" and insert in the window.
    I wanted to thank you Ponderable and everyone else in this thread for your help. I got the games up and running. I am very grateful to all of you. I copied and pasted yours and placed in the box and it worked. 🙂
  5. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 May '23 17:47
    @mwmiller said
    @VESPIN
    Here's some information that I cut and pasted from online when I googled "FEN".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    FEN

Forsyth–Edwards Notation (FEN) is a standard notation for describing a particular board position of a chess game. The purpose of FEN is to provide all the necessary information to restart a game from a particular ...[text shortened]... elps.
    You can enter "chess fen description" into a search engine to get more details or examples.
    Thank you so much for your help. There is a ton of information there for me to study and remember. I'm very grateful.

Michael
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    04 May '23 11:38
    @VESPIN
    That last sentence is probably the best information available,
    regardless of what you are trying to figure out! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree