Linux+noob=abortive installation of mozilla

Linux+noob=abortive installation of mozilla

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J
Irresponsible Quoter

0 games mating

Moves
04 Oct 07
1 edit

Dr Strangelove? Others?
Have Mozilla 1.6 on a linux machine (not my primary computer, obviously)
I can unpackage/unzip and that's as far as I got. Problem seems to be in executing the run-mozilla.sh
I'm not sure what build this is, it is a wierd distro and doesn't have the yum utility
or any of the others installation utilities that I know of, so those will be of no help to me.
(unless I'm doing that wrong too!)

-J

z

Moves
04 Oct 07

Originally posted by Jamin
Dr Strangelove? Others?
Have Mozilla 1.6 on a linux machine (not my primary computer, obviously)
I can unpackage/unzip and that's as far as I got. Problem seems to be in executing the run-mozilla.sh
I'm not sure what build this is, it is a wierd distro and doesn't have the yum utility
or any of the others installation utilities that I know of, so those will be of no help to me.
(unless I'm doing that wrong too!)

-J
As a noob you should not be using Slackware or some ancient distro. I would recommend Fedora which comes with yum as well as Firefox already as a package. Those distros without a package manager like yum are for people who have used linux/unix for many years who are comfortable with the CLI.

Even if you want to run firefox on that deathbed the instructions in the mozilla readme are fairly self-explanatory. Why do you want to run Mozilla 1.6 whereas Firefox 2 is the latest?

J
Irresponsible Quoter

0 games mating

Moves
04 Oct 07
1 edit

clarification: it has 1.6 on it now, I'm trying to install 2 on there.
The unpack is very simple... However the executable will not execute. I think I'm going to follow your advice and get a new distro of linux then learn how to use it from scratch, so to speak.

*edit*
Thank you, btw!

-J

Seeking the Present

Plainfield, IL

Moves
05 Oct 07

Originally posted by Jamin
clarification: it has 1.6 on it now, I'm trying to install 2 on there.
The unpack is very simple... However the executable will not execute. I think I'm going to follow your advice and get a new distro of linux then learn how to use it from scratch, so to speak.

*edit*
Thank you, btw!

-J
there are a couple of different ways you can deal with it...

the shell script probably isn't set executable by default the command

chmod +x ./run_mozilla.sh

will make it executable... then you can just run it with ./run_mozilla.sh

alternatively you can spawn a new shell and feed it the script as a parameter like this.

sh ./run_mozilla.sh

either should execute it for you.

Skryking