1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 06:581 edit
    I tumbled over a peculiarity when I played around with the keyboard. I was just tired of a long day of work, I suppose. I was about to make a move at RHP, and thought if I would do this or that, almost hovering over the Submit Move button, not knowing for sure what to do.

On some funny reason I started to make combinations on my keyboard, like ctrl+A, ctrl+B, etc. Suddenly something strange happened. I got a small window saying Qe5h5. I think it was when I pressed Alt+F4. I looked at the board and found that even it didn't look good because he could do g6xg5 and my queen would be gone, it gave me an opportunity to start a lethal attack to his king, perhaps producing a mate eventually.

I tried Alt+F4 on some other games, and found out it produced a similar window with a move in it. Some good moves, some really winning moves, and some moves that I would have been able to find myself. But every time the best move there was in the particular game.

Alt+F4 giving me a hint? If so, from where? RHP naturally, I didn't know I had an add-on installed on my Internet Explorer. Did it work on FireFox too? Opera? Any other browser in any other OS? I don't know. It works for me, and that's what counts. So it must come from RHP itself (correct me if I'm wrong). If so, it must be remains from the days the RHP system was developed. Some hint generator from before the launch of RHP.

But from where do the hint moves come from? The GameExplorer would be a good guess if it was in the opening phase of the game. From some Fritz, or Lipra, or Rybka routine because I get it also when the game has progressed far? I don't know.

I wonder if it's legal to get a hint from Alt+F4 altogether. Doesn't it violate the TOS 3(b)? But since it comes from the system, and it is actually possible to get a hint in this way, it must be legal.

Do you want me to show some example of some really good hint moves?
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 10:09
    Interesting, I checked it out & using alt f4 it offers to close down firefox but no hints. Guess it relates to some downloads that you have done in the past
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 10:52
    That's the well known AFD-function, which needs some boundary conditions to work,

Please check if the serial number of your processor aned the serial number of your Operating sustem multiplied give a prime.
  4. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 11:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I tumbled over a peculiarity when I played around with the keyboard. I was just tired of a long day of work, I suppose. I was about to make a move at RHP, and thought if I would do this or that, almost hovering over the Submit Move button, not knowing for sure what to do.

On some funny reason I started to make combinations on my keyboard, like ctrl+A, ...[text shortened]... it must be legal.

I am using a public library computer, and the command 'Alt'+'F4' simply closes the top open window.
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 11:34
    The hints usually are not that good, maybe 1400 level, so don't let it make a fool out of you. ๐Ÿ˜›
  6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 11:49
    I think Alt F4 only works on Mac's. Windows PC's have a slightly different key combination.

Try pressing these keys in quick succession:
    Start then U then Enter
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 11:50
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    I am using a public library computer, and the command 'Alt'+'F4' simply closes the top open window.
    Thats because you are using a public computer. It won't work on your office computer either!

Try it at home and you will get the handy move hints.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 12:34
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    That's the well known AFD-function, which needs some boundary conditions to work
    For Firefox users without the right boundary conditions, there's a Greasemonkey script enabling AFD.
  9. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyรณ!
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 14:34

On some funny reason I started to make combinations on my keyboard, like ctrl+A, ...[text shortened]... it must be legal.

Wow, this thing actually works. I just tried it, and got some hints. Your a genius ๐Ÿ˜€

Kind of weird though to have such a glitch. ๐Ÿ˜•
  10. San Diego
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 19:021 edit
    I told a buddy about this, and it worked for him, too! They are really subtle hints--scary good. Surely this secret will be used by everyone soon. This will be the end of RHP as we know it. It would be foolish to tell everyone about it. It will just be the RHP engine playing itself in almost every game.

Maybe this can provide the answer to that ultimate chess question: With perfect play, is every game a win, draw or loss for White? We should start some non-rated games to find out.
  11. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 22:46
    I was the programmer. I only programmed it to work on April 1st, though. Sorry.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '10 07:101 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    I was the programmer. I only programmed it to work on April 1st, though. Sorry.
    Okay, now I understand.
    And I also understand it doesn't work today.
    Thanks, coquette, for the clarification. ๐Ÿ™‚
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    02 Apr '10 08:57
    Okay, now I understand.
    And I also understand it doesn't work today.
    Thanks, coquette, for the clarification. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I really wanted to see those examples - any print-screens you could show us?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree