Game

Game "Drawn"

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
06 Aug 05

Hi,
I have been playing a game of chess and assumed I had won as my partner was in checkmate. Only instead of the game appearing as "you won" in my list of games played, it has appeared as "Drawn". Could anyone please explain what this means and if there is any way to change this?

Thank you for your help!

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
06 Aug 05

Not checkmate, but stalemate. There's a difference.

J

Moves
06 Aug 05
1 edit

Oh, thanks for that. What is the difference between checkmate and stalemate? Does that mean that I did not win the game?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
06 Aug 05

Learn the rules of chess. Then play it.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
06 Aug 05

It is stalemate if you opponent can't move but his king in not in check. This is an automatic draw. You didn't win the game, but then you didn't lose either.

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
06 Aug 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
Learn the rules of chess. Then play it.
Shut up Bowmann.

Stalemate is when your opponent doesn't have any legal moves, but isn't in check. The game is drawn, because your opponent can't legally do anything.

Checkmate is when your opponent is in check, and doesn't have any way to prevent the capture of his king on your next move.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
06 Aug 05

Originally posted by ark13
Shut up Bowmann.
Until there's a forum on chess tuition, and so long as there are those around who ought to know better and appear not to, then I shall offer the same advice.

F

Moves
06 Aug 05

Shut up Bowmann.
Bowmann is right, if the guy can't figure out that he DIDN'T checkmated his opponent but still think he won............well,it's better for the guy to go read some rules of the game........

Data Warehouser

Back in the UK!

Moves
07 Aug 05

Originally posted by Fisich
Bowmann is right
Hmmm... Something about these words going together in a sentence doesn't seem quite right to me...😀

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
07 Aug 05

Originally posted by Fisich
Bowmann is right, if the guy can't figure out that he DIDN'T checkmated his opponent but still think he won............well,it's better for the guy to go read some rules of the game........
But he's trying to learn the rules by asking this question.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
07 Aug 05
1 edit

But he's trying to learn the rules by asking this question.
If he is, then that's the wrong way to go about it.

At what point will he know when to stop asking since he's learnt them all?

D

Brisbane, Australia

Moves
09 Aug 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
If he is, then that's the wrong way to go about it.

At what point will he know when to stop asking since he's learnt them all?
What do you care? People come here to play and/or learn to play chess, not get insulted by some idiot who is too cheap to buy a subscription, and only cares if people have talent.

Go away, and let the door hit your ass multiple times on the way out.

d

Moves
09 Aug 05

Originally posted by D43M0N
What do you care? People come here to play and/or learn to play chess, not get insulted by some idiot who is too cheap to buy a subscription, and only cares if people have talent.

Go away, and let the door hit your ass multiple times on the way out.
Who's being cheap here? Don't tell me you are part of the RHP mass mentality too, for Christ's sake...

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
09 Aug 05

Originally posted by D43M0N
What do you care? People come here to play and/or learn to play chess, not get insulted by some idiot who is too cheap to buy a subscription...
Typical. When a sub can't think of a valid criticism, he insults the Non-Subscriber with one of the old clichés.

J

Moves
25 Aug 05

I asked what you may all consider as being a dumb question because I am a beginner at chess and this is the 'help' forum. I did not realise this site was exclusively for advanced chess players. To all those who helped me with my question, thank you very much, I really appreciate it.