1. Joined
    20 Nov '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '04 19:58
    I am searching for the title of a film about a chess player from England who before taking up chess had a drink problem and spent time in prison on numerous occations, On one such visit he met a chess player who taught him chess and he went on to become a very good player. The bbc made a film or documentory about his life and if anyone could help me out i would be very grateful.
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    21 Nov '04 00:12
    Originally posted by knights court
    I am searching for the title of a film about a chess player from England who before taking up chess had a drink problem and spent time in prison on numerous occations, On one such visit he met a chess player who taught him chess and he went on to become a very good player. The bbc made a film or documentory about his life and if anyone could help me out i would be very grateful.
    The documentary/film you're thinking of was called 'The Grass Arena' and it was based on a book by the same name. The film doesn't seem to be available on DVD or video, and the book is out of print. However you might be able to obtain it second hand, through sites such as Amazon.

Here is the publisher's synopsis of the book:-

"Winner of the J.R.Ackerley prize for The Best Literary Autobiography of 1988, this is the true story of John Healy, who lived as an alcoholic vagrant before learning to play chess in prison. His dedication to the game and natural ability led him to become a tournament champion."
  3. Joined
    20 Nov '04
    Moves
    21 Nov '04 10:08
    Thankyou David for your help.
    You dont know how happy I am to find this out friend.
    I appreciate the help and hope to get a copy now i know the title.
    I have been looking for ages.
    Take care friend and all the best.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Nov '04 22:16
    Here's a website for more information. Maybe this will help.

http://www.thegrassarena.org/

regards, Marc
  5. Joined
    20 Nov '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '04 19:00
    Thanks for the web page friend.
    Been away for some time and it must be years since I saw the film.
    Hopefully now I will be able to get a copy.

Yours G.M.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree