Why do many intelligent people suck at chess?

Why do many intelligent people suck at chess?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
26 Mar 07

Gathering information can make you smart. Using that information makes you intelligent.I think toe word : "pedantic" comes to mind in relation to smart and comprehensive utilization for intelligent.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Mar 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
The intelligent-est people don't bother themselves playing chess.
The intelligent people who do play chess realize it has nothing to do with intelligence.
The people who are good at chess and think this makes them intelligent are actually the dumbest of the lot.

Information obtained from the chess university of life.
Excellent. 😀

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Mar 07

Question: What exactly is intellignece?
Answer: Intelligence is what the intelligence test is measuring.

What does an intelligence test doesn't measure: endurance for example. My weakness is that I am not doing enough analysis. I already hear people shouting: than DO!
So my thesis on this would be: Chess ability is a combination of the ability to think logically, to concentrate on the game at hand and to be patient enough with oneself to go through the analysis until one is sure to have the best move.
Oh and being able to learn from the Grandmasters surely helps...

DS

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by Ponderable
Question: What exactly is intellignece?
Answer: Intelligence is what the intelligence test is measuring.
Eh?
Intelligence is there [or not] regardless of any tests.

The amount of it, is what is measured in tests.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
28 Mar 07

Eh?
Intelligence is there [or not] regardless of any tests.

The amount of it, is what is measured in tests.
Intelligence is hard to define though, and the tests measure IQ, which is not anything in particular but what the tests measure, and is not nearly as meaningful as people make it out to be, in terms of chess performance or life acomplishments.

DS

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
Intelligence is hard to define though, and the tests measure IQ, which is not anything in particular but what the tests measure, and is not nearly as meaningful as people make it out to be, in terms of chess performance or life acomplishments.
I think we've pretty much established that IQ has no direct bearing on chess ability.
But, if I had to chose between two people [say for employment] who were identical in every other way I would pick the one with the higher IQ. I think most companies would too.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Mar 07

I think we've pretty much established that IQ has no direct bearing on chess ability.
But, if I had to chose between two people [say for employment] who were identical in every other way I would pick the one with the higher IQ. I think most companies would too.
There's no such things as two identical people, which means that IQ is irrelevant unless you assign it a non-marginal value.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
28 Mar 07

What if you defined chess as one limited index of intelligence? Given its intellectual components, you could make a good case for doing so. Then it would be partly constitutive of IQ. Hence, it correlate with a broader measure of IQ.

DS

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by Palynka
There's no such things as two identical people...
ok - equal in all other respects. 🙁

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
What if you defined chess as one limited index of intelligence? Given its intellectual components, you could make a good case for doing so. Then it would be partly constitutive of IQ. Hence, it correlate with a broader measure of IQ.
what if you defined red rubber bats as one limited index of intelligence....

"johnny has 3 red rubber bats compared to billy bob's 2 red rubber bats, so all other things being equal, I think we're going to give the position of Executive Chess Dictator to johnny."

Missouri, USA

Moves
29 Mar 07

Originally posted by wormwood
what if you defined red rubber bats as one limited index of intelligence....

"johnny has 3 red rubber bats compared to billy bob's 2 red rubber bats, so all other things being equal, I think we're going to give the position of Executive Chess Dictator to johnny."
How would say, the idiot savant, fit into your equation?