1. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 01:44
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Nothing wrong with Labatt's Blue
    I never cared for LaBatts
    For some reason it always gave me a headache.
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 01:50
    @great-big-stees said
    The only really “good” whiskey is single malt from Scotland.πŸ‘πŸ₯ƒ
    You're right about Scotch
    When I did drink whiskey I found I liked a good straight rye the best
    Bulliet Rye was good
    Old Crow was good. Bourbon Makers Mark was great, Evan William's was okay, a bit minty, but Ancient Age was terribly sweet and syrupy, awful stuff.
  3. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 03:00
    @great-big-stees said
    The only really “good” whiskey is single malt from Scotland.πŸ‘πŸ₯ƒ
    Balvenie Doublewod 12 πŸ₯ƒ πŸ‘πŸ˜
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 15:05
    @hakima said
    A lady of impeccable taste.πŸ₯ƒπŸ‘
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 22:28
    @hakima said
    Nice. How about Aberlour? Their A'bunadh, even?
  6. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 22:411 edit
    For a while I drank cider. One guy I knew made his own hard cider. It was really good. During the winter months he made true apple Jack. Everything available in stores isn't true apple Jack. They sell apple Brandy etc. You see true apple Jack is distilled by freezing cider, then thawing, the alcohol thaws first, they save the early drain, then repeat the process a few times
    He ended up with 40 proof end product
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 23:12
    @gambrel said
    For a while I drank cider. One guy I knew made his own hard cider. It was really good. During the winter months he made true apple Jack. Everything available in stores isn't true apple Jack. They sell apple Brandy etc. You see true apple Jack is distilled by freezing cider, then thawing, the alcohol thaws first, they save the early drain, then repeat the process a few times
    Dang, a quart of that and you would know you had had a drink.
  8. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 00:16
    @the-gravedigger said
    Dang, a quart of that and you would know you had had a drink.
    I meant 40%
    I should have said 80 proof
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 14:57
    @gambrel said
    That method is preserving some Aromas better than the ordinary distillation process.
    (Distill a cider and you get roughly the same as if you distill potatoes (wodka).
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 22:56
    @ponderable said
    (Distill a cider and you get roughly the same as if you distill potatoes (wodka).
    Ooh f&#^ no!

If you distill a cider, you get Calvados! Which is an acquired taste, maybe, but which definitely has a lot more individual character than any vodka.

Vodka is water and ethanol, and if you're lucky, nothing else. (If you're unlucky, methanol, fusel oils, and/or benzenoids play a large part in destroying your brain and liver.) Calvados, by contrast - and other fruit brandys - contain the flavours of the underlying brew. Calvados tastes of apple, slivovic does taste of plums - and if bad, of the aforementioned fusels, but it doesn't have to, and at any rate, does taste of more - and then there's Poire, Kirsch, whatever. All of them are miles ahead of mere vodka.
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 23:11
    @shallow-blue said
    Ooh f&#^ no!

If you distill a cider, you get Calvados! Which is an acquired taste, maybe, but which definitely has a lot more individual character than any vodka.

Vodka is water and ethanol, and if you're lucky, nothing else. (If you're unlucky, methanol, fusel oils, and/or benzenoids play a large part in destroying your brain and liver.) Calvados, by contra ...[text shortened]... taste of more - and then there's Poire, Kirsch, whatever. All of them are miles ahead of mere vodka.
    Wodka is a booze hounds drink. A pal of mine gets through a bottle in a night when he is not working the next day. The only time I drink it is when I go into town with him.
    The ethanol quickly gets to work on the frontal lobes.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 23:15
    @the-gravedigger said
    Wodka is a booze hounds drink. A pal of mine gets through a bottle in a night when he is not working the next day. The only time I drink it is when I go into town with him.
    The ethanol quickly gets to work on the frontal lobes.
    LOL@ t-g....Would Wodka be the same a Vodka? πŸ˜‰

-VR
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 23:34
    @very-rusty said
    LOL@ t-g....Would Wodka be the same a Vodka? πŸ˜‰

-VR
    Yes. 🍸πŸ€ͺ
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Jan '22 23:36
    @the-gravedigger said
    Yes. 🍸πŸ€ͺ
    Just playing with you t-g, I make more than my share of spelling errors! πŸ™‚

-VR
  15. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    27 Jan '22 00:41
    @very-rusty said
    Just playing with you t-g, I make more than my share of spelling errors! πŸ™‚

-VR
    I think he spelled it like Russians pronounce it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree