1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 19:451 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You stop playing when you got to HS? BTW, can you send me an image of one of your paintings? That is something I am terrible at. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler without making a bump from my thumb🙂
    Studies and sports, cars and 8-Ball Pool with the guys, girls and a part-time job became priorities which displaced weekly music lessons, even though I had advanced to triple/staccato notes and high octave scales. "Bugle Boy of Company B" (?); Begin the Beguine" (sp); and "Tuxedo Junction"; a few Vaughn Monroe scores and other Post War II Hits I remember having gained proficiency with to Mr. Womberg's satisfaction. Given away most of the 17 Paintings to family and friends locally and around the country. A few were favorably reviewed on Facebook but may have been deleted. Will see what I can do. -Bob
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 20:52
    Originally posted by Tygert
    What grade do you have and what is your favourite style of music that can be played on that instrument?
    Played second triangle in school orchestra but that was a long time ago.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Oct '13 21:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The music teacher always stuck me with the wood blocks.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Oct '13 00:49
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    stuck or struck?
  5. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 01:44
    I play three bars of music a week, its actually the same bar, over and over, but the beer is quite good & the drinks are superb. I teach guitar at three Universities, only because I can't make enough money at just one. I also take odd jobs like Santa Trains, cocktail jazz hours, wedding ceremonies, Irish music , Klezmer music, classic screaming rock gigs.

Lotsa musicians ("musos" for those of you down under) here @ RHP. We should record a collective song. Someone start a riff, then send it on, next person adds an overdub, same, on & on.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 10:223 edits
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    I play three bars of music a week, its actually the same bar, over and over, but the beer is quite good & the drinks are superb. I teach guitar at three Universities, only because I can't make enough money at just one. I also take odd jobs like Santa Trains, cocktail jazz hours, wedding ceremonies, Irish music , Klezmer music, classic screaming rock gigs ...[text shortened]... ective song. Someone start a riff, then send it on, next person adds an overdub, same, on & on.
    What site is good for that? Reverbnation? Soundcloud?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundCloud

I tried Reverbnation but found you can only upload 5 or six pieces for free. Not sure how much Soundcloud wants for full service. Soundcloud hooks into PreSonus But I use Cakewalk Sonar. Does that mean all the musicians would be forced to buy PreSonus?
  7. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 16:36
    We.d have to send .wav files to each other, then you could process however you like, the put it back into a wav file and send to the next person.
    It would be best to start with the drums. Do we have a drummer in the house??? (at RHP)
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 17:47
    Ha-ha I can relate to that.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 17:48
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Brilliant typo.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 01:17
    I'm a virtuoso theremin smasher. Been invited to Bayreuth for Hitchcock's little-known production of Siegfried.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 03:23
    My sister played the flute, but we were a poor family and she had to play someone else's.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 04:05
    I have been playing second fiddle for about fifteen years now, but she has her good points.
  13. In your face
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 09:131 edit
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    We.d have to send .wav files to each other, then you could process however you like, the put it back into a wav file and send to the next person.
    It would be best to start with the drums. Do we have a drummer in the house??? (at RHP)
    What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians?
    A drummer.
    How can you tell a drummer is at the door?
    The knocking gets faster.
    He doesn't know when to come in?
    Two tom-toms and a hi hat fell off a lorry.
    Ba dum tish!

Sounds like a good idea. I could create a drum beat on my keyboard. Would be a bit plastic though. The real thing is always better.

Also if we keep dubbing over the top then won't a certain amount of noise build up and the sound quality be rubbish? Any ideas how to stop this?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 11:29
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians?
    A drummer.
    The knocking gets faster.
    He doesn't know when to come in?
    Two tom-toms and a hi hat fell off a lorry.
    Ba dum tish!

Sounds like a good idea. I could create a drum beat on my keyboard. W ...[text shortened]... a certain amount of noise build up and the sound quality be rubbish? Any ideas how to stop this?
    Most modern keyboards use digital sound at least 16 bit, some 24, or more. If your keyboard is 16 bit you shouldn't have much noise added when you add tracks, you are starting out with a 90 db S/N ratio and 24 bit over 100.

If you are using a mixer to add tracks to a recorder, a tape recorder, you will have more noise per added track because of the analog nature of tape, which is about 60 db S/N ratio and maybe 80 db S/N with Dolby.

The mixer is the weak spot of modern recording equipment. I use two recorders, one is a Boss BR1600 direct to HD recorder with 8 XLR inputs and the other is a traditional mixer going into a computer using Sonar X1 and an RME hammerfall I/O which does not have preamps so have to have a mixer and that will add some noise with each track.

With a mixer, the noise goes up with each extra track you use at the same time. So you can do your inputs one at a time, adding tracks to a DAW and you will minimize the added noise but that is time consuming.

You will get the best sound that way however.

I also have a 2 input I/O with 2 XLR mic ins with preamps, which is ok for a single person or a duo but if you record 3 or more people at once you need a higher level input box and the good ones have say, 8 XLR in's with mic preamps built in so you don't need a mixer, that also reduces the noise because they usually have very good preamps and at least 16 bit D/A's or better.

That's what the Boss BR1600 has but it goes way beyond just being an input box, it has a full effects set and records to a hard drive and has a built in CD burner so you can do the whole thing from start to finish on the one machine. You can get them on Ebay now for 600 bucks or so, I paid 400 at a hock shop, the owner was cringing when he found out they were going for hundreds more on Ebay but he was the one who set the price🙂
  15. In your face
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 12:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Most modern keyboards use digital sound at least 16 bit, some 24, or more. If your keyboard is 16 bit you shouldn't have much noise added when you add tracks, you are starting out with a 90 db S/N ratio and 24 bit over 100.

If you are using a mixer to add tracks to a recorder, a tape recorder, you will have more noise per added track because of the anal ...[text shortened]... en he found out they were going for hundreds more on Ebay but he was the one who set the price🙂
    Dude, your gear is way beyond mine. I was thinking of using mics and line in on my sound card. I'm out grabbing lunch at the moment. I will see what I can knock together when I get home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree