1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 23:282 edits
    I often lose my train of thought when trying to do many things at one time.

Last night for instance, I was writing messages here at RHP with one hand while juggling five bananas with the other and talking to both my wife and Jake from State Farm... he was wearing khakis. I dropped the bananas and inadvertently ignored my wife as she was talking to me as I was talking to Jake from State Farm. Well, I'm sure you can image what happened next... I can't, because my wife slipped on one of the bananas and the next thing I remember is waking up this morning with a terrible headache.

Is this a problem for anyone else? Or is multitasking inherently difficult, and easily fixed by singletasking tasks?
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 01:30
    Originally posted by lemon lime

Last night for instance, I was writing messages here at RHP with one hand while juggling five bananas with the other and talking to both my wife and Jake from State Farm... he was wearing khakis. I dropped the bananas and inadvertently ignored my wife as she was talking to me a ...[text shortened]... r anyone else? Or is multitasking inherently difficult, and easily fixed by singletasking tasks?
    i can absolutely assure you that single-tasking is THE answer. for instance, when i'm cooking a meal while ironing a shirt while watching judge judy while grading another lame essay while dealing with the idiot who won't confirm the appointment without putting me on hold twice, i find that simply focusing on whether to make a tactical sacrifice or just a solid developing move is the right way to go because i always make the wrong choice when i am multitasking. for instance i'll salt one time too many while i burn the shirt while i miss judge judy disparaging some idiot while i miss the numbskull who finally gets back on the line to let me know that the appointment time isn't available and i end up getting forked.

just single task, that's what i say
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 04:28
    Originally posted by coquette
    i can absolutely assure you that single-tasking is THE answer. for instance, when i'm cooking a meal while ironing a shirt while watching judge judy while grading another lame essay while dealing with the idiot who won't confirm the appointment without putting me on hold twice, i find that simply focusing on whether to make a tactical sacrifice or just a so ...[text shortened]... intment time isn't available and i end up getting forked.

You iron shirts??? Wowee!!! What are you wearing, while ironing that shirt???
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 04:33
    i can absolutely assure you that single-tasking is THE answer. for instance, when i'm cooking a meal while ironing a shirt while watching judge judy while grading another lame essay while dealing with the idiot who won't confirm the appointment without putting me on hold twice, i find that simply focusing on whether to make a tactical sacrifice or just a so ...[text shortened]... intment time isn't available and i end up getting forked.

I called Jake back and he said no, I'm not insured for what happened last night. So I'm definitely going to try using that single-tasking technique... it doesn't sound very complicated.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 07:572 edits

"William Sidney Porter (O. Henry) was born on September 11, 1862, in Greensboro, North Carolina. His experiences in Texas, Honduras, and New York provided rich material for his more than three hundred short stories. In writing a story, he said, "the unusual is the ordinary rather than the unexpected." (randomhouse) O. would have been pleased with the advent of the internet and loaned this online vignette of interlocking spheres the apropos title of his only novel, "Cabbages and Kings" Redux by coquette and lemon lime (June, 2015).
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 14:262 edits

Last night for instance, I was writing messages here at RHP with one hand while juggling five bananas with the other and talking to both my wife and Jake from State Farm... he was wearing khakis. I dropped the bananas and inadvertently ignored my wife as she was talking to me a ...[text shortened]... r anyone else? Or is multitasking inherently difficult, and easily fixed by singletasking tasks?
    "Who are you talking to?"

"It's Jake... from State Farm."

"Jake, from State Farm? At three in the morning?" "Who is this?"

"What are you wearing, 'Jake-from-State-Farm'?"

"uhhh... khakis."

"She sounds hideous."

"Well, she's a guy, so...."

YouTube : State of Unrest
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 15:06

So did the idiot get a passing grade? What was the essay? I think you said it was on the evolution of the shape of avocado's, right?
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 16:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Who are you talking to?"

"Jake, from State Farm? At three in the morning?" "Who is this?"

"What are you wearing, 'Jake-from-State-Farm'?"

"uhhh... khakis."

"She sounds hideous."

"Well, she's a guy, so...."

[youtube State of Unrest]xfjV7u012ls[/youtube]
    YouTube : State of Unrest 2
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 18:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    You iron shirts??? Wowee!!! What are you wearing, while ironing that shirt???
    i'm wearing a blouse or a Tee, the shirt isn't mine, silly
  10. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So did the idiot get a passing grade? What was the essay? I think you said it was on the evolution of the shape of avocado's, right?
    the idiot got a passing grade, which, by the way, these days can be earned by just submitting a big smiley with orange crayon, not that i am lamenting a loss of the art of writing among our young scholastics as I realize that the teachers of my generation were also lamenting the loss of the artistry of creative writing in our generation, just as i know that their teachers were lamenting the loss of writing in their generation. let's face it, it's been downhill since shakespeare. he really messed things up for the lot of us these recent centuries.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 21:26
    the idiot got a passing grade, which, by the way, these days can be earned by just submitting a big smiley with orange crayon, not that i am lamenting a loss of the art of writing among our young scholastics as I realize that the teachers of my generation were also lamenting the loss of the artistry of creative writing in our generation, just as i know that ...[text shortened]... downhill since shakespeare. he really messed things up for the lot of us these recent centuries.
    "let's face it, it's been downhill since shakespeare. he really messed things up for the lot of us these recent centuries."

yep, where there's a Will there's a way; his once every five hundred years insightful nuanced read of human nature
    "really messed things up for the lot of us these recent centuries." no comma only a virtual coma with an end stop.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 03:44
    the idiot got a passing grade, which, by the way, these days can be earned by just submitting a big smiley with orange crayon, not that i am lamenting a loss of the art of writing among our young scholastics as I realize that the teachers of my generation were also lamenting the loss of the artistry of creative writing in our generation, just as i know that ...[text shortened]... downhill since shakespeare. he really messed things up for the lot of us these recent centuries.
    ... got a passing grade, which, by the way, these days can be earned by just submitting a big smiley with orange crayon...

Middle school or High school?

please don't say 'college'
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 04:07
    [b]... got a passing grade, which, by the way, these days can be earned by just submitting a big smiley with orange crayon...

Middle school or High school?

please don't say 'college'[/b]
    Maybe it happened at "oLd ScHoOl"
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 04:401 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    No way. Essay writing wasn't required until Jr High (middle school). And in grade school no one got stickers or smiley faces on their papers...
    it was either A B C D or F for everyone.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 04:502 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    I'll bet she teaches college kids. I can feel it in my bones. I want to know, but on the other hand... I don't want to know.

High school... it's gotta be high school kids.

community college?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree