@hand-of-hecate said
    TL;DNR
    EE-I-EE-I-Oh.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '20 12:48
    @hakima said
    In a conversation with a friend, I explained why I am refraining from clicking on the “like” button on social media. He responded to one of my recent postings on FaceBook, stating that if people didn’t have the “like” button, they would post less. My response is , “yes!” which is exactly why the “like” option is placed on every post and on every comment.

The creators and e ...[text shortened]... rms use to direct my behavior through their advertising schemes.

[youtube]rvg0eY_Ls4Y[/youtube]
    Self indulgence or self control? You can choose.
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    23 Sep '20 12:52
    @hakima said
    TB;YMO
    Time Bombs; Your Moose Obituary?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Sep '20 13:07
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Time Bombs; Your Moose Obituary?
    Now that you posted that I haven't seen @MontyMoose Posting for a while
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Sep '20 14:27
    @hakima said
    In a conversation with a friend, I explained why I am refraining from clicking on the “like” button on social media. He responded to one of my recent postings on FaceBook, stating that if people didn’t have the “like” button, they would post less. My response is , “yes!” which is exactly why the “like” option is placed on every post and on every comment.

The creators and e ...[text shortened]... rms use to direct my behavior through their advertising schemes.

[youtube]rvg0eY_Ls4Y[/youtube]
    I once saw a report on how social media sites exploit human psychology to make social media addictive, likes being one way. Sites like Facebook and Twitter use certain chimes in their notification of likes that results in a kind of pleasant "high", using bright, friendly images inviting you to check what has been "liked". This keeps people coming back, often resulting in an addiction to social media.

This also results in depression when people don't get likes on a post or when they get a lower amount than they hoped for. So those people will keep posting until they've received that next "high" of validation from likes.

I don't use FB much, mainly because it's boring. People just post memes, and the way the site runs, you it's hard to find old posts from people in your feed; even if it's just a few hours old. It gets annoying. I used to just play the games, but all their games are pretty much the same and get repetitive. I've never been a Twitter user.
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    23 Sep '20 18:29
    @vivify

I once saw a report on how social media sites exploit human psychology to make social media addictive, likes being one way. Sites like Facebook and Twitter use certain chimes in their notification of likes that results in a kind of pleasant "high", using bright, friendly images inviting you to check what has been "liked". This keeps people coming back, often resulting in an addiction to social media.

Uh huh. Sorta like - "You've got mail!". Remember that? then you scramble to see who sent you an email!

Oh, the joy! lol
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 01:49
    @vivify said
    I don't use FB much, mainly because it's boring.
    It is boring, I use it less and less these days. When I first signed up to the platform Facebook was less than 2 years old and it was dynamic, fun and super engaging.

I’m not a twitter user either, nor instagram. Can’t see myself signing up to anything else as I’ll probably become somewhat less internet visible after 2021.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 10:56
    In Germayn there are quite a lot of articles in press reportuing that the Show has influence on People.
    Who would have thought?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree