Sticky Thread Game

Sticky Thread Game

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gothenburg

Moves
25 Jun 21

@great-big-stees said
I was an accountant for decades...look at my chess prowess.🤔😉 I may be an anomaly.😉
I have the impression that chess is more about logic of space and time than math, which was my worst subject at school.

Moves
25 Jun 21

@torunn said
I have the impression that chess is more about logic of space and time than math, which was my worst subject at school.
One time, space was something I thought of studying but ended up sticking with math.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jun 21

@great-big-stees said
I was an accountant for decades...look at my chess prowess.🤔😉 I may be an anomaly.😉
So, you don't need to be good at math to be good at chess (since the actual act of playing chess doesn't require any math beyond maybe counting up points in an exchange), but those who are good at one are probably more likely to be good at the other than the average person, because they already have many skills.

Did play chess as a child? This is the time your brain is developing as you know?

-VR

Moves
25 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
So, you don't need to be good at math to be good at chess (since the actual act of playing chess doesn't require any math beyond maybe counting up points in an exchange), but those who are good at one are probably more likely to be good at the other than the average person, because they already have many skills.

Did play chess as a child? This is the time your brain is developing as you know?

-VR
No. I didn’t start playing it until well into my 50s. In my youth I played a lot of golf, hockey, American football, and skiing and stuck with the golf all they way through my life...thus far.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jun 21
2 edits

@great-big-stees said
No. I didn’t start playing it until well into my 50s. In my youth I played a lot of golf, hockey, American football, and skiing and stuck with the golf all they way through my life...thus far.
It is suppose to help children with their math who play chess. A study was done that found kids who played chess had higher marks in math than those who didn't. Personally I wasn't great as at math as a child but didn't play chess until early teens then just knew how the different pieces were moved not really how to play the game. ( Still learning, at least I know about developing pieces and making a plan now ) Joining a Chess club in 1993 helped me realize I didn't know how to play actually just how the pieces moved.

We played on a checker board of course the white square on the top in in the wrong place, we didn't know we had to turn the board around from checkers to chess so the white square was where it belonged......LOL....

-VR

Moves
25 Jun 21

@very-rusty said
It is suppose to help children with their math who play chess. A study was done that found kids who played chess had higher marks in math than those who didn't. Personally I wasn't great as at math as a child but didn't play chess until early teens then just knew how the different pieces were moved not really how to play the game. ( Still learning, at least I know about de ...[text shortened]... he board around from checkers to chess so the white square was where it belonged......LOL....

-VR
I’ll stick to playing chess as a means of making new and keeping in touch with old, friends here.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Jun 21

@great-big-stees said
I’ll stick to playing chess as a means of making new and keeping in touch with old, friends here.
LOL @ stees....At our ages we are probably about as good or bad as we will get.

Always good to stick at what you love doing the most.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
30 Jun 21

Time for a bump, 2nd last post on page.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Jul 21

Bump went to page 2.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
07 Jul 21

Once again found this on page 2. Are we going to let the the Sticky Thread Game die?

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Jul 21
1 edit

I am forced to bump this thread again found on the second page.

I don't want to be remembered as killing the "Sticky Thread Game"! 😉

I am sure Pondy would point that "FACT" out!

-VR

Moves
11 Jul 21
1 edit

@very-rusty said
I am forced to bump this thread again found on the second page.

I don't want to be remembered as killing the "Sticky Thread Game"! 😉

I am sure Pondy would point that "FACT" out!

-VR
Well far be it for me to see this thread “die” so I’ll just stick this in.👍

b

Moves
12 Jul 21

I am adamant about not participating

Moves
12 Jul 21

@billyray said
I am adamant about not participating
Stick to your guns.

Treat Everyone Equal