RHP General Forum Conversation

RHP General Forum Conversation

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
... Urban Slang's a murderer.
Urban slang serves a purpose - it's a way young people communicate with each other - we did too when we were young. I don't think we have to worry about it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Say what dawg?
"Say what dawg?"

~grampy dawg (nice ring to it, dontcha think)

and

~great big hawg.

cool

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by lolof
Urban slang serves a purpose - it's a way young people communicate with each other - we did too when we were young. I don't think we have to worry about it.
lolof, have you Googled Urban Slang and scanned the left side menu recently?

l

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

lolof, have you Googled Urban Slang and scanned the left side menu recently?
No, what does it say?

To me Urban is one thing and slang is one thing. When I google 'urban slang' I read this among other things:

slang is the continual and ever-changing use and definition of words in informal conversation, often using references as a means of comparison or showing likeness. some modern slang has endured over the decades since its inception (i.e. cool) and some will only last a few years before being rendered obsolete or outdated (i.e. bling bling).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13

No, what does it say?
lolof, telling you here would result in gb getting banned. lol but true... we're living in a time when just about anything goes.

l

Moves
11 Aug 13

lolof, telling you here would result in gb getting banned. lol but true... we're living in a time when just about anything goes.
I was referring to a way of communication - if there is another meaning I don't know about it. I'm only interested in different kinds of languages.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

I was referring to a way of communication - if there is another meaning I don't know about it. I'm only interested in different kinds of languages.
The "Urban Dictionary" of contemporary slang words and phrases contains entries neither of us would have dreamed existed. I do understand your generic meaning and believe such liberties with language have been taken since time began (the most innocent, probably affectionate nicknames). Please see the "Miscellaneous" thread in our private club forum for more.

l

Moves
11 Aug 13

The "Urban Dictionary" of contemporary slang words and phrases contains entries neither of us would have dreamed existed. I do understand your generic meaning and believe such liberties with language have been taken since time began (the most innocent, probably affectionate nicknames). Please see the "Miscellaneous" thread in our private club forum for more.
I think it's all right as it is - my attitude when it comes to languages is well established and I want to promote thinking that goes forward, not backward. I love Language and I owe a lot of it to my earlier linguistic studies. As imperfect as we are when we speak, language is fascinating.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13

I think it's all right as it is - my attitude when it comes to languages is well established and I want to promote thinking that goes forward, not backward. I love Language and I owe a lot of it to my earlier linguistic studies. As imperfect as we are when we speak, language is fascinating.
"... language is fascinating."

Totally agree with the appreciations expressed by your minority point of view.
Many, unfortunately, take it for granted and do with it whatever they please.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
11 Aug 13

New house. My wife wanted it ... I didn't - now we have a mortgage again 🙁

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
11 Aug 13

Grab a plate and throw it to the ground

-Okay, done

Did it break?

-Yes

Now say sorry to it.

-Sorry

Did it go back to the way it was before?

-No

Do you understand?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
Grab a plate and throw it to the ground

-Okay, done

Did it break?

-Yes

Now say sorry to it.

-Sorry

Did it go back to the way it was before?

-No

Do you understand?
Yes.

Nope.

Not yet,

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
13 Aug 13

Ok another metaphorical story:

There was this guy who had fits of rage destroying everything in reach. A wise man advised him: Every time, you feel this coming go out to the fence and beat a nail in. He did so and the situation improved. He needed to go out less and less. After a while the fits were gome. Then the wise man advised him: Go and pull out all the nails. He did so. Then the wise man said: See your rage is gone now, but the holes will stay.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Aug 13

A man goes to a Psychologist and says, "Doc I got a real problem, I can't stop thinking about sex."
The Psychologist says, "Well let's see what we can find out", and pulls out his ink blots. "What is this a picture of?" he asks.
The man turns the picture upside down then turns it around and states, "That's a man and a woman on a bed making love."
The Psychologist says, "very interesting," and shows the next picture. "And what is this a picture of?"
The man looks and turns it in different directions and says, "That's a man and a woman on a bed making love."
The Psychologists tries again with the third ink blot, and asks the same question, "What is this a picture of?"
The patient again turns it in all directions and replies, "That's a man and a woman on a bed making love."
The Psychologist states, "Well, yes, you do seem to be obsessed with sex."
"Me!?" demands the patient. "You're the one who keeps showing me the dirty pictures!"

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Aug 13

cool one