Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 07:41
    “The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.”

― Flannery O'Connor
  2. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 04:47
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.
    George Horace Lormimer
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:01
    “Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
    "It made a difference for that one.”
    ― Loren Eiseley
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:15
    “The more doors you open to the mysteries, or sacred knowledge, the smaller you feel. And because you begin to feel smaller and smaller until your ego disappears, the more humble you become. Therefore, any man who behaves arrogantly with what little he knows, or claims to know all, only reveals to all that he really knows nothing. Real greatness does not reside inside those who feel large. The truly wise are meek. Yet being small and meek do not make one weak. Arming oneself with true knowledge generates strong confidence and a bold spirit that makes you a lion of God. The Creator does not want you to suffer, yet we are being conditioned by society to accept suffering, weak and passive dispositions under the belief that such conditions are favorable by God. Weakness is not a virtue praised by God. How could he desire for you to be weak if he tells us to stand by our conscience? Doing so requires strength. However, there is a difference between arrogance when inflating your ego, and confidence when one truly gets closer to God. One feels large, while the other feels small. Why? Because a man of wisdom understands that he is just a small pea in a sea of infinite atoms, and that in the end — we are all connected. And did you not know that the smaller a creature is, the bolder its spirit?”
    ― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:20
    Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

Dennis Wholey
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:21
    Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Dale Carnegie
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:22
    When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Will Rogers
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:25
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:34
    The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.

Edward Abbey
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:36
    If I hadn't been told I was garbage, I wouldn't have learned how to show people I'm talented. And if everyone had always laughed at my jokes, I wouldn't have figured out how to be so funny. If they hadn't told me I was ugly, I never would have searched for my beauty. And if they hadn't tried to break me down, I wouldn't know that I'm unbreakable.

Gabourey Sidibe
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:38
    If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.

Theodore Roosevelt
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:40
    When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'

Sydney J. Harris
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 17:42
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Mark Twain
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 18:17
    But he that dares not grasp the thorn
    Should never crave the rose.

- Anne Brontë
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22 Sep '18 11:32
    “The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.”
    ― Emily Dickinson

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree