1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 May '19 09:52
    @divegeester said
    A terrorist or other criminal is not likely to provide a real address to anyone.
    Anyone who likes their privacy is most likely not going to provide their real address.

-VR
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '19 20:53
    @humy said
    That last quote of yours made me just occur to me that, for obvious national security reasons, governments and police authorities would want to keep secret their ability (or inability), and perhaps also the other people's potential ability (or inability) such as terrorists etc, to trace a person's geographical location from their e-mail address. If that is the case then I guess I will likely NEVER be able to find out the answer to my OP question.
    Vivify is correct. Locations can be traced via IP addresses. Moreover, law enforcement agencies can compel service providers to produce metadata on demand, and service providers are forbidden to inform the parties involved that such a demand has been issued or complied with.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 May '19 21:49
    @moonbus said
    Vivify is correct. Locations can be traced via IP addresses. Moreover, law enforcement agencies can compel service providers to produce metadata on demand, and service providers are forbidden to inform the parties involved that such a demand has been issued or complied with.
    I believe that is a good law, no concern if you have nothing to hide! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree