1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 12:141 edit
    So I recently (earlier this week) bought a full sized keyboard for my daughter to help her learn piano. As I have a love of music, I've started playing it, trying to see if any of my self taught guitar knowledge could be transferred over to the piano. Managed a simple blues bass line in the key of A.

Long story short, I'm now trying to learn the first movement of moonlight sonata from a YouTube video I found. Working mainly on the left hand, with hope to work on the right when I have a section saved to memory.

Wondering if any of the rhp community had any tips on playing piano, and if they could recommend any music to try and learn? I'm hoping determination is going to win the day. Simple but effective practice exercises would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Huck
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 13:343 edits
    @huckleberryhound said
    So I recently (earlier this week) bought a full sized keyboard for my daughter to help her learn piano. As I have a love of music, I've started playing it, trying to see if any of my self taught guitar knowledge could be transferred over to the piano. Managed a simple blues bass line in the key of A.

Long story short, I'm now trying to learn the first movement of ...[text shortened]... win the day. Simple but effective practice exercises would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Huck
    Bravo!
    Buona fortuna. Penso di questo ci serva bene.

YouTube

I'm not sure why Chopin's Nocturne Opus 9 will not playback via this link. But it's beautiful and worth trying.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 14:22
    @huckleberryhound said

Long story short, I'm now trying to learn the first movement of ...[text shortened]... win the day. Simple but effective practice exercises would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Huck
    Here's a tip from someone who plays the piano, by ear...practice, practice, practice. Shucks, good luck Huck. Hell, I'm taking up poetry. 😉
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 17:521 edit
    @huckleberryhound said

Thanks in advance. Huck
    If I may, I've been playing piano since elementary school when my mom first insisted I start taking lessons. I have several keyboards and my mom's upright piano that I learned on. Skill comes only through practice and repetition, you have to develop the muscle memory, because our brains aren't made for our hands to easily do two things at once. Guitar or piano, indeed any musical instrument, is slightly easier because the things we're making our two hands do are similar. On guitar, chords with one hand and melody with the other, same with piano, so you may be ahead of the game conceptually speaking, but the muscle memory required will still take time to be good. This is why I still practice my woodwinds every week, when I can, and even more hours/week on piano to stay sharp.

I play mainly jazz and blues piano, but I play classical to sharpen and refine my technique. The best practice material is a book or two of etudes. These books are difficult on purpose in order to provide the stretch of technique you need to get better. Play them over and over until they become easy. It can be frustrating at first, but as I said, skill only comes through practice and repetition.

The video here can give you a few ideas as to easier pieces for those just starting out.
    YouTube

Moonlight Sonata, being in the key of C# minor, is a little crazy with the black keys. If you're looking to be able to sight-read piano music, there are easier pieces.
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 19:54
    @suzianne said
    If I may, I've been playing piano since elementary school when my mom first insisted I start taking lessons. I have several keyboards and my mom's upright piano that I learned on. Skill comes only through practice and repetition, you have to develop the muscle memory, because our brains aren't made for our hands to easily do two things at once. Guitar or piano, indeed any ...[text shortened]... th the black keys. If you're looking to be able to sight-read piano music, there are easier pieces.
    I never learned to read music as I'm self taught, and guitar books usually use tablature. There is a song I always play when playing guitar because it's very difficult to finish without mistake - street spirit. It is my mount Everest. I think the first movement is my piano equivalent for now. I YouTube'd some practice drills which I will use every day, and I will follow your advice. Some Jules Holland boogie woogie style would be my first choice of style, and classical second. Thanks for the advice and help.
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 12:30
    @Suzianne
    Some excellent advice here.
    First, however, put Beethoven on the back burner for a bit. The 1st movement of the Moonlight is delightfully serene, slow and atmospheric (unlike the 3rd movement!), but it demands a light touch, a singing independent fifth finger to bring out the tune and a high level of gentle rubato to bring out the innate musicality of the piece. There are easier pieces in easier keys for the beginner. So, secondly, may I suggest Bach’s Prelude in C major from the 48 Preludes and Fugues?
    When practising always focus on your hand position: are the fingers curved? Is your wrist relaxed? Is the top of your hand flat and level? Is there a space under your palm for a small mouse? Is your back straight? A simple exercise that is hugely rewarding for technique is to place your right hand on the notes middle C to G.Then play C,D,C,D in a see-saw motion, keeping all your fingers relaxed and lightly resting on the keys. Then play D,E,D,E; the E,F,E,F etc. It’s really important to train you fingers to stop shooting up in the air! Always keep them light resting on the keys.
    A good book of studies for the adult learner is by Hanon. Get it and work your way through.
    Good luck, and remember:
    PRACTISE NOT UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT, BUT UNTIL YOU CAN’T GET IT WRONG!!
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 13:48
    Great advice from among RHP's most talented.

I'm in Stees' camp:
    A would-be poet, because words are cheap. 😀
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 14:00
    A novelist would be nice.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 15:41
    @wolfe63 said
    Great advice from among RHP's most talented.

I'm in Stees' camp:
    A would-be poet, because words are cheap. 😀
    And so am I, though I prefer...frugal.
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 16:12
    @Pianoman1
    Thank you. I'm about 16 bars into the first movement, and am working on the left hand of the next 16. I think it's just the first piece I thought of, and googled it. Took my daughter to the royal Irish academy today for an open day. She needs two pieces and a few scales by February. Hoping me playing will keep her interest. Thanks again, will look at the prelude in case major tonight.
  11. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 17:22
    @huckleberryhound said
    @Pianoman1
    Thank you. I'm about 16 bars into the first movement, and am working on the left hand of the next 16. I think it's just the first piece I thought of, and googled it. Took my daughter to the royal Irish academy today for an open day. She needs two pieces and a few scales by February. Hoping me playing will keep her interest. Thanks again, will look at the prelude in case major tonight.
    How's the progress? Hoping you are seeing improvement and enjoying the process Huckleberry.
    My wife has a guitar and I've often thought of dragging it our and trying to learn something new and interesting. Maybe I should do just that.
  12. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 17:23
    @great-big-stees said
    And so am I, though I prefer...frugal.
    You just don't like talking. You're not much for conversation.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 18:421 edit
    @mudfinger said
    You just don't like talking. You're not much for conversation.
    I continue to wonder how you think you know "stuff" about me. Who are you...an old girlfriend who just can't "let go"? Hang on a sec. I took music lessons for 6 years playing the Tuba and Sousaphone in the school orchestra and marching band and there was a trombone player who, it was said, had an undeclared "admiration" for me. Are you Nancy Collettie?
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 21:43
    @huckleberryhound said
    @Pianoman1
    Case major? Bloody auto correct.

This one definitely seems easier. I'm using a similar video to the one suzanne posted, with the guitar hero style note thing. I should get lessons. Or at least get an online course. Just happy trying to get a tune at the moment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree