1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 07:36
    You know when you’re in a restaurant and you order your food and drinks etc but while it’s being prepared the waiter leaves a little wooden tray containing your cutlery and a few slices of bread which you didn’t ask for but seems like a nice gesture, so you munch away on it while you wait. Then they charge you €5 for it! Nowadays I refuse to pay for the bread and don’t eat there again.

Bread.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 10:45
    @divegeester

There’s no free lunch.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 11:54
    @divegeester said
    You know when you’re in a restaurant and you order your food and drinks etc but while it’s being prepared the waiter leaves a little wooden tray containing your cutlery and a few slices of bread which you didn’t ask for but seems like a nice gesture, so you munch away on it while you wait. Then they charge you €5 for it! Nowadays I refuse to pay for the bread and don’t eat there again.

Bread.
    Good on ya. NEVER pay for anything you didn’t order. The cheek of them.πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‰
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 13:07
    The bread in God’s house is always free.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 13:15
    @great-big-stees said
    Good on ya. NEVER pay for anything you didn’t order. The cheek of them.πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‰
    I’ve paid for it many times but doing so has become an increasing irritant. Once I just left the bread completely untouched and when the bill arrived I asked them what the €5 was for.

There was an awkward pause as we each looked at the untouched bread and back at each other. The waiter just picked up the check and the bread and said “my apologies I’ll have it removed”.

Now don’t miss understand me, I’m quite happy to pay €5 for some bread, I just don’t like to be manipulated and I think it’s poor form by the restaurant.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 13:41
    @divegeester said
    I’ve paid for it many times but doing so has become an increasing irritant. Once I just left the bread completely untouched and when the bill arrived I asked them what the €5 was for.

There was an awkward pause as we each looked at the untouched bread and back at each other. The waiter just picked up the check and the bread and said “my apologies I’ll have it removed” ...[text shortened]... €5 for some bread, I just don’t like to be manipulated and I think it’s poor form by the restaurant.
    Next time take a bag of bread in with you. Add a little more to the bowl and pay £5 less at the end of your meal.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 14:12
    @drewnogal said
    The bread in God’s house is always free.
    I believe He still charges for sourdough.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 14:19
    @relentless-red said
    Next time take a bag of bread in with you. Add a little more to the bowl and pay £5 less at the end of your meal.
    This is creative thinking!

Maybe I could take my own food and wine and then come away with big enough refunds to part pay for the holiday itself.

PS Tuchel got it tactically wrong again against Juve.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:12
    @relentless-red said
    LOL@ r-r!!

Will they let you take in your own bread I wonder? πŸ™‚

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I believe He still charges for sourdough.
    No he doesn't charge for sourdough. I know him personally! πŸ™‚

-VR
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:15
    @very-rusty said
    LOL@ r-r!!

Will they let you take in your own bread I wonder? πŸ™‚

-VR
    Well if they have restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine (they charge a corking fee) why not bring your own bread (they might charge a baking fee).
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:22
    @great-big-stees said
    Well if they have restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine (they charge a corking fee) why not bring your own bread (they might charge a baking fee).
    I have been to a restaurant where they charge you extra for mushrooms and onions when you are getting steak.

-VR
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:25
    @very-rusty said
    I have been to a restaurant where they charge you extra for mushrooms and onions when you are getting steak.

-VR
    Try a restaurant that has linen table clothes. It’s included, should you want them.πŸ€”
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:43
    @great-big-stees said
    Try a restaurant that has linen table clothes. It’s included, should you want them.πŸ€”
    I used to eat n run
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Oct '21 15:48
    @badradger said
    I used to eat n run
    I hope you paid the bill first?

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree