1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 00:11
    I’m finding that I don’t eat as much as I did 50 or so years ago.🤔
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 14:53
    A good friend of mine was killed in a chemical plant we were both working in. Outage work, industrial equipment repair. He was run over by a forklift carrying a large load. The unlicensed forklift driver crushed him and didn’t even know he’d hit someone.

I like to tell myself it was quick, but, it wasn’t. This was his last job. He’d just retired and come back on a contract assignment.

I’ll miss his crappy cigars and dry sense of humor.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 15:15
    @Hand-of-Hecate

Sad tale for sure. My wife and I just visited her brother living in Florida, a retired colonel in the USAF (also my branch of service) and he has second stage alzheimer's and she needed to be able to talk to him while he was still semi lucid. He remembers stuff 30 years ago fine but an hour ago, not so much. It is sad to see someone who got as far as colonel fall to such a situation as today. But alzheimer's doesn't care what rank you obtained, how rich you are, if you are living on the streets, it treats all the same.
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 16:271 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Hand-of-Hecate

Sad tale for sure. My wife and I just visited her brother living in Florida, a retired colonel in the USAF (also my branch of service) and he has second stage alzheimer's and she needed to be able to talk to him while he was still semi lucid. He remembers stuff 30 years ago fine but an hour ago, not so much. It is sad to see someone who got as far as colon ...[text shortened]... what rank you obtained, how rich you are, if you are living on the streets, it treats all the same.
    My Uncle, the man who taught me how to drive, is suffering from Alzheimer’s. Going down hill remarkably fast. It’s a terrible disease.

Used to be a boxer and served on the RAF. Can’t help but wonder if head trauma contributed to the issue.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 17:28
    @hand-of-hecate said
    My Uncle, the man who taught me how to drive, is suffering from Alzheimer’s. Going down hill remarkably fast. It’s a terrible disease.

Used to be a boxer and served on the RAF. Can’t help but wonder if head trauma contributed to the issue.
    Sorry to read that; some next level relatives can be very influential in our lives.

As for the Alzheimer’s; there are many brain consuming pathologies it seems, and I would think head trauma such as boxing would contribute.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 19:53
    @hand-of-hecate said

With my dad it started out, at about 95, slowly with him remembering, like someone said, what happened 70 or 80 years before or what he and my mother had to eat on their first date, or his WW2 army number but not what he'd had for breakfast. It's always amazed me as to why that happens. I may have looked that up at some point but as I too am getting older, I've forgotten. I think I'll look into it again.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 20:321 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    With my dad it started out, at about 95, slowly with him remembering, like someone said, what happened 70 or 80 years before or what he and my mother had to eat on their first date, or his WW2 army number but not what he'd had for breakfast. It's always amazed me as to why that happens. I may have looked that up at some point but as I too am getting older, I've forgotten. I think I'll look into it again.
    I googled LiveScience:

"Because short-term memories need to be recalled for a lesser amount of time than long-term memories, the ability of the brain to store short-term items is more limited. According to "Memory Loss & the Brain," a newsletter from the Memory Disorders Project at Rutgers University, short-term memory can store anywhere from five to nine items. New information can bump out other items from short-term memory. Long-term memory has much greater capacity and contains things such as facts, personal memories and the name of your third-grade teacher..."

Edit: It didn't really answer the question why... or does it...?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Dec '19 15:021 edit
    @Hand-of-Hecate
    Newest research shows a possible connection to a tooth bacteria where it somehow crosses the blood brain barrier and actually causes alzheimers. At this point it has not been proven but all the work done previously to get rid of the amyloid and tau tangles in the brain have proved fruitless so the cause has to be something else. It has been shown there are 90 yo folks out there with those tangles but no sign of alzheimers so work goes on.

https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/news/20190125/gum-disease-bacteria-found-in-alzheimers-brains
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Dec '19 17:13
    @hand-of-hecate said

It may well have? I knew of a man who suffered with TIA’s which are mini-strokes which were the result of him hitting his head on a bar in the roof of a far east taxi as it hit a curb. He’d been perfectly fine before his holiday then deteriorated very quickly over a few months ending up in a dementia ward.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 18:17
    I, and a special trained team of drunks, once liberated a stuffed sailfish from captivity in a local bar. While it is getting progressively more ratty as time goes on, still makes its way around the team every few years.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 19:51
    @Hand-of-Hecate
    Don't give up your day job.....
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 20:02
    I hold a pen so tightly that after an exam my hand would appear crippled.
  13. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 20:35
    @sonhouse said
    @Hand-of-Hecate
    Don't give up your day job.....
    Isn’t your daughter in Brazil? Looks like that place is circling the drain. I’ve got a buddy actively trying to flee the country with his family.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Dec '19 20:50
    I hate goat cheese, and oysters.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '19 12:59
    @torunn said
    I hate goat cheese, and oysters.
    Goats and oysters hate me. 🤔

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree