https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
    No thanks. I'll stick with reality. 😉
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 10:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Still a bit pricey, no?
    Out of my price range but it's sure to come down over time. I'd love to try one out, hopefully will do so when they appear in my local game shop. I wonder if they'll replace 'traditional' gaming in the long run.
  5. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 10:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    But does it come with Dolby Surround 7.1?
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 10:12
    What is your avatar, by the way? A burning bowling ball?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 10:17
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    What is your avatar, by the way? A burning bowling ball?
    Could be! I think it's a ball of fire. Whatever that is. 😉
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 10:18
    Could be! I think it's a ball of fire. Whatever that is. 😉
    Stick to reality, eh?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 12:17
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Anyone got/planning to get one?

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
    We are supposed to get two VR headsets from T Mobile, part of a deal where we got two new galaxy S7's for the price of one plus the two headsets. These sets have to use the cell phones connected to them to work so it is like an app for the cell phone.

I got a short demo of one and was not exactly overwhelmed at the resolution of the screen, I could clearly see the pixels. That was my only experience with VR, will know more when they get mailed to our house. They also threw in one year of Netflix free.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 12:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We are supposed to get two VR headsets from T Mobile, part of a deal where we got two new galaxy S7's for the price of one plus the two headsets. These sets have to use the cell phones connected to them to work so it is like an app for the cell phone.

I got a short demo of one and was not exactly overwhelmed at the resolution of the screen, I could clear ...[text shortened]... , will know more when they get mailed to our house. They also threw in one year of Netflix free.
    Dang, I must've missed that deal. I have T-Mobile, but never saw that deal. 😞
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 12:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse

I got a short demo of one and was not exactly overwhelmed at the resolution of the screen, I could clear ...[text shortened]... , will know more when they get mailed to our house. They also threw in one year of Netflix free.
    Let us know what you think of it when you've played with them. 🙂
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 13:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Dang, I must've missed that deal. I have T-Mobile, but never saw that deal. 😞
    It's still active I think. We just got ours a couple of weeks ago. I went from the S3 to the S7, a significant jump in technology. For instance, the S7 is water resistant, you can put it under 4 feet of water for 30 minutes unscathed. And the wireless charger is a big one too, since the old mini usb charging port has been prone to problems. Wireless charging eliminates the use of that port, which it still has but seldom used now.

The wireless charger hardware costs $50. All our devices have run into problems with the charge port. It seems the design is weak, solder joints fail and the port is worthless even though the phone or tablet or whatever works fine but you can't charge it so it is dead.

Another improvement is battery life. I used to have to charge the old S3 every day but the S7 seems to be able to go 3 days without charging as long as you are not doing silly things like watching movies or some such on it. I only have a few apps, like one that shows the available Wifi sources in the immediate area and a chess app and a scientific calculator. Uber and Echolink rounds out my list.
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:06
    I don't think i'll bother. First i don't really have the floor space free to be walking around the room i game in, secondly i worry about eye damage with something like that. I'd rather save for a titan based PC (which i currently am)
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '16 00:12
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I don't think i'll bother. First i don't really have the floor space free to be walking around the room i game in, secondly i worry about eye damage with something like that. I'd rather save for a titan based PC (which i currently am)
    That is a good point about the potential eye damage.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    06 Apr '16 10:502 edits
    Here's a demonstration of the HTC Vive with Steam VR.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree