1. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 14:193 edits
    I recently started a temporary job. It mostly consists of manual labour. Basically dozens of people wait in a room for a job to be called in. If no one calls in everyone goes home empty handed. There are usually a few jobs that do call in and people are selected on who is the best fit for the job. A few days ago I got a job and someone objected, they gave them a sob story about how he needed the money, It got me thinking about morality and the consequences of my participation. Just by being there I deprived someone a chance to feed their family or pay their rent on time. It seems to me every job is competitive in this way and that to be successful it has to be at the expense of others.

The will to live, gives an obligation to work, to succeed to the detriment of others.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 14:22
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Accidentally pressed enter edited full post coming soon\
    No it's OK. You've given us enough to be getting on with here.

So, how often do things accidentally pressed lead to cogitations on the morality of living?
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 14:52
    In a world where there are not enough jobs - or houses - to go around, anyone who gets either could feel some concern for those who were in greater need. But you're opening a can of worms here. Nobody is entitled to anything other than the right to exist, all other things must be earned in some way.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 15:36
    I recently started a temporary job. It mostly consists of manual labour. Basically dozens of people wait in a room for a job to be called in. If no one calls in everyone goes home empty handed. There are usually a few jobs that do call in and people are selected on who is the best fit for the job. A few days ago I got a job and someone objected, they ...[text shortened]... others.

The will to live, gives an obligation to work, to succeed to the detriment of others.
    The issue IMO is how you use your power. You have been given power, to some extent, over other people. If you don't accept it, someone else will. Also it an be removed from you at any time, I presume. So how are you going to use your power?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Nobody is entitled to anything other than the right to exist,
    Pro-choice people would at least partially object to your statement.

"all other things must be earned in some way."

What about the mentally or physically disabled? What about children? What about the elderly? Are women entitled to vote? What about.....

Technically, no one is "entitled" to anything. That doesn't mean it isn't to humanity's benefit to cut each other some slack.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 16:02
    I recently started a temporary job. It mostly consists of manual labour. Basically dozens of people wait in a room for a job to be called in. If no one calls in everyone goes home empty handed. There are usually a few jobs that do call in and people are selected on who is the best fit for the job. A few days ago I got a job and someone objected, they ...[text shortened]... others.

It's a zero sum game. Every cent we have is in detriment of other
    not getting that cent. The pie does not get bigger and the same old
    fat cats are taking bigger slices of the pie.

It's a dirty racket but each one of us is on our own. It's kill or get
    killed. Keep on trucking, bro.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 23:43
    No it's not to the detriment of others when you succeed. When you fail is to the detriment of others.

Get the priorities strait. Nix the guilt. Work your ass off as much as you can and enjoy the fruit of your labor. And don't forget to give to the needy.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Sep '16 23:541 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    It's a zero sum game. Every cent we have is in detriment of other
    not getting that cent. The pie does not get bigger and the same old
    fat cats are taking bigger slices of the pie.

It's a dirty racket but each one of us is on our own. It's kill or get
    killed. Keep on trucking, bro.
    That's the way of the world. Dog eat dog.

But that's not God's way. To live is to serve and sacrifice for the benefit of others.

What a horror it is for those who fail the test. We're not on this earth to get everything we can get for ourselves. We're here to give it away.

Doesn't that make more sense than the mentality of 'the survival of the fittest'?
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Sep '16 08:411 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Pro-choice people would at least partially object to your statement.

"all other things must be earned in some way."

What about the mentally or physically disabled? What about children? What about the elderly? Are women entitled to vote? What about.....

Technically, no one is "entitled" to anything. That doesn't mean it isn't to humanity's benefit to cut each other some slack.
    When I say "the right to exist" I'm talking about humans who have already survived the birth process and have already a conscious existence. I should perhaps have said "the right not to have my conscious existence terminated by others without my consent".
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Sep '16 10:46
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    When I say "the right to exist" I'm talking about humans who have already survived the birth process and have already a conscious existence. I should perhaps have said "the right not to have my conscious existence terminated by others without my consent".
    That's a curious thing "rights". I wonder, and I'm not being sarcastic either, are all rights bestowed, or are they inalienable? Are some rights inalienable and others bestowed?

I don't disagree that anyone has the right to terminate another's existence, but is there a circumstance in which it is?

I think there is. If one takes away the right of another to exist, that one loses their right to exist.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '16 23:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's the way of the world. Dog eat dog.

But that's not God's way. To live is to serve and sacrifice for the benefit of others.

What a horror it is for those who fail the test. We're not on this earth to get everything we can get for ourselves. We're here to give it away.

Doesn't that make more sense than the mentality of 'the survival of the fittest'?
    It is a variation on the survival of the fittest, because who the fittest are is undeniably confirmed by looking to see who survived. So someday, whoever ended up in heaven were the fittest, who adequately served and sacrificed for the benefit of others, as you say.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Sep '16 09:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    It is a variation on the survival of the fittest, ... whoever ended up in heaven were the fittest, ...
    Nice! Hadn't thought of it that way. But I think Darwin just rolled over in his grave.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree