Cut-throat razor (straight/open razor)

Cut-throat razor (straight/open razor)

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
17 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Larkie
You are probably right - but it does require practice.
My own barber seems to spend an age lathering my chops with a good old-fashioned badger brush first, really working it in - I guess it opens the pores properly before the razor. I think this process is also key to the closeness of the shave. It ain't a rush job!
yes absolutely, you need proper brush and soap and to prepare the face, no rush out in the morning job, no siree. πŸ˜€

Moves
17 Apr 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I suspect not anymore than a conventional safety razor. From what I can discern the trick is to buy a good razor, not a cheapo, this will last a lifetime and the leather belt thing that goes with it. There are loads of videos on the proper technique. As others have testified when I have received a shave from someone using an open razor it feels like it would last a week. Truly awesome.
Where did you go to get it, a traditional barber?

rc

Moves
17 Apr 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Where did you go to get it, a traditional barber?
yes.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 17
2 edits

I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, what a difference: the man even managed to shave the whiskers around the cut without opening the wound! I tipped him handsomely.

My grandfathers knew how to handle a straight razor, and to keep one sharp. I wouldn't risk it. This is something best left to professionals, IMO.

EDIT: you may find that Turkish barbers singe rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, w ...[text shortened]... e[/i] rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.
Would you still get a cut-throat razor shave in that part of the world? 😲

Edit: OK libs, yeah I know it's mostly safe, it's just a joke, relax

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17

I was once travelling by car through the former Yugoslavia. I had been some days on the road and was looking rather scruffy. I had tried shaving myself with a so-called safety razor and bungled it, leaving a scabby slash on my lip a couple of millimetres long. I decided to get a proper barber to give me a proper shave, with lather and a straight razor. My, w ...[text shortened]... e[/i] rather than cut the hairs in your ears. This can be startling, for those not expecting it.
you fluffed it wit a safety razor? I somehow pictured you out there rather deftly skimming the five o'clock shadow off with a samurai sword.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

Sure you were. . .with your fingers crossed!
Wobbie,

What the hell, just try a chainsaw. See how that works out for you! πŸ˜›

-VR

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Wobbie,

What the hell, just try a chainsaw. See how that works out for you! πŸ˜›

-VR
I am finished with you Crusty, leave me alone.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Apr 17

you fluffed it wit a safety razor? I somehow pictured you out there rather deftly skimming the five o'clock shadow off with a samurai sword.
More like a Swiss Army knife.

rc

Moves
18 Apr 17
1 edit

More like a Swiss Army knife.
πŸ˜€ ouch! still its gotta be better than getting circumcised with flint knifes.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Apr 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Would you still get a cut-throat razor shave in that part of the world? 😲

Edit: OK libs, yeah I know it's mostly safe, it's just a joke, relax
Sure.

Moves
18 Apr 17

In Belgrade's center, at Kralja Petra Street there are two old fashioned barber shop, like from brothers Coen's films.
A Danish writer, friend of mine, had his hair cut in one of them and he said to me later that he reckons the barber was drunk.

This is the pic of other one:
http://24sata.production.rvc.ha.rs/prica-o-najpoznatijem-beogradskom-berberinu-koji-je-zbog-podviga-postao-istorijska-licnost/36115

rc

Moves
19 Apr 17

Originally posted by vandervelde
In Belgrade's center, at Kralja Petra Street there are two old fashioned barber shop, like from brothers Coen's films.
A Danish writer, friend of mine, had his hair cut in one of them and he said to me later that he reckons the barber was drunk.

This is the pic of other one:
http://24sata.production.rvc.ha.rs/prica-o-najpoznatijem-beogradskom-berberinu-koji-je-zbog-podviga-postao-istorijska-licnost/36115
Vanders have you ever been to Slovenia?

Moves
19 Apr 17

Of course.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 17

Originally posted by vandervelde
Of course.
what was it like?