1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 14:12
    @kewpie said
    Australia made the mistake of not restricting vaping sales as they wanted to encourage smokers to use vaping to help quit. Now we have an epidemic of kids vaping they've restricted vape sales to prescription-only at pharmacies. I suspect the kids will start getting their vapes from the friendly drug dealers because the genie's out of the bottle. Normal smoking is dying out here, has been long before vapes arrived.
    In my opinion all they managed to do is replace one addiction with another one.

-VR
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 14:32
    @very-rusty said
    In my opinion all they managed to do is replace one addiction with another one.

-VR
    It would be worthwhile to try to deal with the root cause of addiction. All these addictions is a fairly recent thing. I would think that some of these causes are:
    - weak parental control
    - parents and society that have addictions themselves so they are in no position to correct neither can they lead by example
    - too much free time among young people.
    - boredom
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 14:45
    @rajk999 said
    It would be worthwhile to try to deal with the root cause of addiction. All these addictions is a fairly recent thing. I would think that some of these causes are:
    - weak parental control
    - parents and society that have addictions themselves so they are in no position to correct neither can they lead by example
    - boredom
    I believe the way the world is now, both parents have to work just to make ends meet. So that leaves the youngsters a lot of time without their parents around. It is not a parental control matter in my way of looking at it. More is of a society issue and way the world has changed, especially in the last 50 or so years.

-VR
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 17:01
    @very-rusty said
    I believe the way the world is now, both parents have to work just to make ends meet. So that leaves the youngsters a lot of time without their parents around. It is not a parental control matter in my way of looking at it. More is of a society issue and way the world has changed, especially in the last 50 or so years.

-VR
    In some parts of the world yes. Apparently materialistic living has become a priority. Raising good children took a distant second or third place in the lives of parents. Note that there are some some parts of the world where family life is the priority and these children grow up with far better values and zero addictions.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 17:50
    @rajk999 said
    In some parts of the world yes. Apparently materialistic living has become a priority. Raising good children took a distant second or third place in the lives of parents. Note that there are some some parts of the world where family life is the priority and these children grow up with far better values and zero addictions.
    That is all a thing of the past. In the real world in order for families to make it both parents need to be working. What you're talking about was done in the past. Name me a country in the world where it is possible for just one person to be working, and I am talking about the working class here not the very Rich would can afford to be with their children most of the time. Then even there many of them are sent to boarding schools as the parents can't be bothered once they get to a certain age.

-VR
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 18:13
    @very-rusty said
    That is all a thing of the past. In the real world in order for families to make it both parents need to be working. What you're talking about was done in the past. Name me a country in the world where it is possible for just one person to be working, and I am talking about the working class here not the very Rich would can afford to be with their children most of the time ...[text shortened]... are sent to boarding schools as the parents can't be bothered once they get to a certain age.

-VR
    Are you saying that "stay at home middle class moms" do not exist in your society?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 18:221 edit
    @rajk999 said
    Are you saying that "stay at home middle class moms" do not exist in your society?
    I'd love to know what country you live in?

The working class are not always middle class you know. Have you heard of the working poor?

-VR
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 19:59
    @very-rusty said
    I'd love to know what country you live in?

The working class are not always middle class you know. Have you heard of the working poor?

-VR
    Its in my profile. Do you really believe all countries are like yours, and face the same kind of addictions like your society? Or that family life is the same? For real?
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 21:02
    @rajk999 said
    - weak parental control
    - boredom
    There are links between childhood trauma and addiction.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/understanding-addiction/202109/why-trauma-can-lead-to-addiction
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 22:34
    @drewnogal said
    There are links between childhood trauma and addiction.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/understanding-addiction/202109/why-trauma-can-lead-to-addiction
    What would you say is the cause of childhood trauma?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 22:54
    @rajk999 said
    - weak parental control
    - boredom
    Don't quit your day job.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 06:291 edit
    @rajk999 said
    What would you say is the cause of childhood trauma?
    Neglect, abuse, injury, separation or illness? It could be a anything really that has caused the child ongoing distress. It can result in a lack of resilience in coping with the day to day challenges of growing up which results in turning to substances or behaviours that bring a temporary comfort.

Take a look at Gabor Maté. He’s worked extensively with families, sick children & people with addiction.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 06:50
    We oldies just had radio, and even then people became alcoholics. Pile on cinemas, TV, internet, streaming services, mobile smartphones. It's impossible for a kid to grow up in any society (excepting maybe the Amish) without being constantly bombarded with advertising and propaganda, peddled by people whose lifeblood is money. What amazes me is that so many kids still manage to get through it and become mature, responsible adults.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 06:59
    @kewpie said
    We oldies just had radio, and even then people became alcoholics. Pile on cinemas, TV, internet, streaming services, mobile smartphones. It's impossible for a kid to grow up in any society (excepting maybe the Amish) without being constantly bombarded with advertising and propaganda, peddled by people whose lifeblood is money. What amazes me is that so many kids still manage to get through it and become mature, responsible adults.
    The world today seems a far more complicated world to grow up in.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Apr '24 07:29
    @drewnogal said
    The world today seems a far more complicated world to grow up in.
    It is both easier and more complicated - possibilities and threats.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree