Chess Mentor or Chess Engine?

Chess Mentor or Chess Engine?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
24 Jun 13

Hello there!

I'm a bloody chess amateur but I want to improve my skills so I'm willing to invest time and money in order to do that. So I came down to two options to invest in:

Either CHESS MENTOR from the chess.com website,
or a CHESS ENGINE like Shredder or Hiarcs (I am a Mac user).

I already use Stockfish as chess engine and I own a couple of books, so I'm tending to the chess mentor but I haven't done my decision yet.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this to help me decide. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!
DW.

Australia

Moves
24 Jun 13

You could always try playing a few games on the site.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
24 Jun 13

Originally posted by deltawhiskey
Hello there!

I'm a bloody chess amateur but I want to improve my skills so I'm willing to invest time and money in order to do that. So I came down to two options to invest in:

Either CHESS MENTOR from the chess.com website,
or a CHESS ENGINE like Shredder or Hiarcs (I am a Mac user).

I already use Stockfish as chess engine and I own a couple ...[text shortened]... ve to hear your thoughts on this to help me decide. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!
DW.
Probably a mentor is better for the weak player, for a good player it could be difficult to find a good mentor.

d

Moves
24 Jun 13

Originally posted by Ponderable
Probably a mentor is better for the weak player, for a good player it could be difficult to find a good mentor.
Thanks for your responses! But I meant the chess mentor learning software which the site offers, not an actual chess player as my mentor 😉 do you know it? it has mostly good reviews

Z

Moves
24 Jun 13

Originally posted by deltawhiskey
Thanks for your responses! But I meant the chess mentor learning software which the site offers, not an actual chess player as my mentor 😉 do you know it? it has mostly good reviews
I'll be your mentor. However, you'll be asked to forsake your current life for a life of servitude and supplication while under my tutelage. A small price to pay for guaranteed results. When I'm done, I'll have the Polgar Sisters down on their knees for you.